Nike vs Adidas basketball: shoe edition

Photo by Madi Schoenecker Photo featuring Nike Jordans, which along with many other Nike shoes are dominating the athletic shoe world. Patterson said, "A lot of kids who like Durant will be influenced by his decision. Adidas will probably always be second to Nike."

Madi Schoenecker, Social Media Editor

Nike dominates the basketball shoe market with well over 90 percent.  Within the last two or three years, Adidas has become increasingly interested in the industry.  Adidas was founded in 1924 in Herzogenaurach, Germany while Nike was founded in 1964 in Beaverton, Oregon, USA.  True to their roots, Nike focused on the American market and Adidas focused on the European market.  Even now, Nike is the most popular in America.

Sophomore Claire Patterson said about her Nike Hyperdunks, “They give me good support. They are light so I can move fast. They are comfortable and they look cool too.”

The Hyperdunks use Flywire technology to lock the foot in place.  This provides support and stability while simultaneously removing excess weight.  These shoes also feature fibers stronger than bullet proof vests.

In 2007, Adidas offered Kevin Durant a huge deal.  He politely declined and chose to sign with Nike.  To this day, Nike remains his favored brand, and he is not quiet about it either.  There are hundreds of items pertaining to Durant for sale.

Patterson said, “A lot of kids who like Durant will be influenced by his decision.  Adidas will probably always be second to Nike.”