Adventurers come together in the Naturalist Club

Rachel LeMire, Social Media Editor

For many, there is nothing quite as relaxing or refreshing as the outdoors. Getting out of the house, enjoying the fresh air and appreciating all that nature has to offer is exhilarating and an adventure within itself. Now it is easier than ever for those who seek adventure and love being with other nature enthusiasts to congregate and enjoy the great outdoors.

The Naturalist Club has been introduced this year by history teacher Michael Lennon to encourage students involvement in extracurricular activities and to share his love for nature with others through thrilling new ways.

“The idea is to get students interested in nature. There will be a stewardship component where we will go out and help improve, take care and protect. I’m into trail building and nature preservation. The other part is trying to figure out how to go out and have fun outdoors,” said Lennon.

When Lennon taught at the junior high school, he ran a club similar to the Naturalist Club that ended after six years due to changing state transportation requirements.

“I used to run what was called the Outdoor Adventure club. I ran it out of the junior high school for about six years until it folded because we couldn’t afford transportation. Last year, former students approached me last spring because they had heard that we used to have something like this and said can we try it again,” said Lennon.

“We can go camping at state parks, hiking, ice fishing, and there’s a log lodge that we’re thinking about going to, so it should be fun.”

— Drew Weigel

Drew Weigel (’17) was the student primarily responsible for reviving the club that now has more than 20 members and continues to grow.

“I actually started the club. I heard that it used to be a club but it stopped due to lack of interest,” explained Weigel.

Weigel, along with others in the new club, describe the club with excitement for upcoming events planned for the school year.

“We can go camping at state parks, hiking, ice fishing, and there’s a log lodge that we’re thinking about going to, so it should be fun,” said Weigel.

Junior Danielle Glewwe shares Weigel’s enthusiasm and sees that the club provides a new opportunity to be connected to the outdoors and new people.

“The Naturalist Club is an outdoorsy club that we plan to do things together that are outside like camping and its cool because the students have a say in what we get to do,” said Glewwe.

Apart from providing the students with options for different activities to participate in, the Naturalist club is free of cost and accepts any student willing to join.

“It’s different from other clubs because its free, it doesn’t cost any money to join so that’s cool and we don’t do things in school, we go and do things outside of the school grounds,” said Glewwe.

Along with outdoor activities like camping and hiking, Glewwe hopes to learn some survival skills that will benefit her in the future.

“I’m excited to go camping with the cool people that are in the club. I’m excited to try skiing because I snowboard but I want to try skiing and just learn how to do a lot of things in the outdoors, like cooking a meal,” said Glewwe.

The Naturalist Club is a great new opportunity to help improve the community and try new things at the same time. Students that enjoy the thrill of trying new things and want to help improve the outdoors will appreciate this club that combines nature awareness and adventure.