Senior Jensen produces new movie ‘The Unearthing’

Senior Tristan Jensen explains his new movie, “The Unearthing.” The movie premiered in early Sept. and was a success in the film festival world.

Photo by MacKinzy Thomas

Cory Spawn, Broadcast Managing Editor

Senior Tristan Jensen has finished his third and largest movie, which he premiered on Sept. 12-13.

Jensen wrote the movie, “The Unearthing“, which is a feature about a girl named Autumn who moves to Stillwater for the summer with her father, and meets two local kids named Charlotte and Parker who she works with to uncover a secret about Stillwater.  The movie was filmed in Stillwater at many local homes and businesses by Jensen and his friends.  The trailer he made for the movie won Best Student Entry at the International Movie Trailer Festival.  The movie will be screened at many film festivals throughout the year.

He started working on the movie in April 2013 and plans to release it to the general public on DVD and in online streaming services such as Netflix this April.

“Nothing within making it is enjoyable,” said Jensen, “having it made is enjoyable.  The least enjoyable part is waking up early and everything relies on me, its all up to me to do whatever,” he added.

“Riley Yeary was dedicated and was like her own character.

— Tristen Jensen

The three main actors that made up the group of kids were junior Riley Yeary, junior Angelina Masciopinto and sophomore Kaleb Miller.

“Riley Yeary was dedicated and was like her own character,” Jensen said.

There are many challenges in a large project such as a movie and “The Unearthing” was no different.

“Commitment was the hardest part, not just for me, but everyone,” said Jensen, “And also the unpredictable challenges.  Working with other people was a huge challenge,”

He came up with the plot for the film from an inspiration that came to him one day.

“The story itself is always the inspiration.  The idea feeds itself,” Jensen explained.

Jensen has always been into acting and making movies.  He started with a movie titled “Incite”.

“I absolutely love entertaining people and bringing the audience on a crazy ride.  Any emotional response I give people, they enjoy, I like,” he explained.

Most movies are around two hours long, however, Jensen’s film is only 58 minutes long which is unusual.

“There was no need to extend the run time, it tells the story well.  It would be to much high fructose corn syrup as filler to extend it,” said Jensen

He recently got a role in an upcoming movie titled “Halo: Dawn Under Heaven” which will help him continue growing his acting career.  He will also continue to make his own movies as well.

Jensen said there “will be a follow up movie” for the Unearthing where characters would be brought back with a different plot.