Knoll hits all the right notes

Playing the harp is one of the many instruments junior Brooke Knoll  has learned to play throughout her years as a musician.

Photo courtesy Brooke Knoll

Playing the harp is one of the many instruments junior Brooke Knoll has learned to play throughout her years as a musician.

Lucy Langmack

When Brooke Knoll was only 5 years old, she took an interest in music. Her family, being heavily involved with music, gave her the “musical gene”. Her mom plays the flute, her dad plays the guitar, and her brother plays the bass, guitar and drums. It was only fate for Knoll to be involved with music as well.

Sophomore Knoll plays the piano, ukulele, cello and the harp in Concert Orchestra and her voice. When she was 6 years old, her cabin neighbor, Mia, introduced her harp and Knoll quickly fell in love.

My family is very influential,” said Knoll. “My dad actually built my first harp. He is the one who inspires me to play in concerts and shows and let me take lessons.”

Knoll has been playing for 10 years, on and off school campus. She performs at weddings and special events, as well as the top orchestra at Stillwater Area High School.

Its been over 5 years since Concert Orchestra has had a harpist. Whenever there’s a piece requiring a harp she will play, but mostly she plays the cello,” said senior Hannah Sutcliffe, a violinist in Concert Orchestra with Knoll.

Not only is the harp heavy, but it requires special tuning and care when played. There are only a select few left in the world that know how to play this lovely, unique instrument.

It takes Brooke about 10 minutes to tune it. Its really labor intensive to turn the knobs with the special tuning tools. Also she adds another couple minutes to warm up,” said Sutcliffe.

Knoll’s biggest challenge is time. Playing 5 instruments, it can be difficult for her to find time to practice. However, she would not be at her level of talent if she didn’t put her heart and soul into what she does.

She wants to do everything and give 120 percent. Shes so passionate about everything that she needs to go off and do all of it at once and make a difference,” said Sutcliffe.

It has been three years since Concert Orchestra has acquired a sophomore, making her appearance very rare.

For a student to be in Concert Orchestra, you must have a certain ability, technicality and musicality. Concert Orchestra is a great, beneficial experience,” said Jerry Jones, Director of SAHS orchestras.

Through her music school MacPhail Center for Music, Knoll had the opportunity to perform and travel to cities in Europe this summer. She is also involved with Stillwater community variety shows, theater productions and her Youtube channel- Brooke Knoll Harpist.

Knoll intends on playing her instruments her entire life. She truly believes the harp is one of the best instruments because of the personal and emotional effect it brings to others. 

“I feel connected to it. I love the way it can make other people feel. It’s so personal, yet it can touch people at the same time. I’m very happy that I make people happy,” said Knoll.

Through her music, Knoll will continue to remind the Stillwater community what true, quality music is.