Soundset Music Festival features popular hip hop artists

Photo by Christy Prust
Soundset in previous years has been a huge hit, and Soundset 2014 expects to be even more of a hit this year. This year, Soundset will be featuring artists like 2 Chainz and Wiz Khalifa.

Photo by Christy Prust Soundset in previous years has been a huge hit, and Soundset 2014 expects to be even more of a hit this year. This year, Soundset will be featuring artists like 2 Chainz and Wiz Khalifa.

Soundset is a music festival that has been becoming popular throughout the past years. Many more people have been attending the festival and counting down the days each year until the day of the festival comes.

As spring approaches so does Soundset and many eager fans cannot wait to attend a day filled with over 30 artists performing between multiple stages during 9 hours. The festival has been happening since 2008 and has continued to gain popularity over the past few years. People from all over Minnesota and even other states attend this festival for the hip hop music. The festival is put on by Rhymesayers Entertainment and more than 10,000 hip hop fans will be coming to enjoy a day of music.

The event includes a variety of artists performing on stages, a live graffiti painting, a skatepark with a skateboard showdown, a custom car show and a freestyle session. The event has a lot to offer making sure you don’t get bored.

Many people have high expectations this year with the performances because of a packed lineup full of great artists that people are big fans of.

“There is a great deal of talent in the lineup this year. I have high expectations because most of the performers have good music. The only thing I question is their ability to perform live,” said junior David Guild.

Over the years Soundset has had a few changes and things that they add each year. There’s always something new, even if it is a slight change in the way where things are located throughout the event.

“There is a great deal of talent in the lineup this year. ”

— David Guild

“From what I noticed that has changed is that the tickets have raised in price a lot. More people are starting to show up and more people have become known with the event,” said junior Nelson Weaver.

Many people continue attending Soundset because of all of the fun memories they have from previous years. They enjoy the atmosphere around them with all of the people.

“The first year I ever went, I met these guys and watched atmosphere perform with them and right when atmosphere started singing, trying to find a balance, it started raining and it looked super cool because it was dark and all the lights on the stage were reflecting off of the rain, it was a really cool moment,” said junior Georgia Eger.

Some people are attending the hip hop concert to see the bigger artists like Wiz Khalifa, 2 Chainz, Pusha T, G-Eazy and many more. Others on the other hand are excited to see the more unknown artists that haven’t gained much popularity yet.

“I have gone once and I am going again this year because some of my favorite underground artists are going to be performing and performed last year. Such as, Schoolboy Q and Joey BadA$$ last year,” Said Guild.

If you enjoy a wide range of hip hop and like being in a good and happy atmosphere for a day full of happy people then Soundset is a great festival to experience. The music will not let you down and you will leave satisfied with many memories.

11 Responses to “Soundset Music Festival features popular hip hop artists”

1. Ahnika Kroll on May 22nd, 2014 10:21 am

I think this article is really personable and informative, the interviewees were really good choices and the facts you used are really believable and relatable. This was a great article choice for the paper, I can tell people are really excited about it.

2. Madison Engstrum on May 22nd, 2014 2:00 pm

Strong lead and nut graph. Gave good information and the quotes were descriptive they added a lot to the article! Overall, it was a great article!

3. Katelyn Weisbrod on May 23rd, 2014 8:43 am

I liked that you didn’t just talk about artist like 2 Chainz and Wiz Khalifa, you talked about the underground artists and all the other activities that would be at Soundset. I also liked how you got several different perspectives of people attending.

4. Alex Magler on May 23rd, 2014 1:51 pm

This article is very relevant as many Stillwater students attend this festival. Your nut graph was very informative and the quotes were also very descriptive which adds a lot from a readers standpoint.

5. Nicole Loe on May 27th, 2014 8:22 am

This article had really great quotes, and it was also very informative too. I liked how you got a lot of different people in on the quotes, it really helped make the article fun to read.

6. Hannah Crawford on May 27th, 2014 9:56 pm

This article was very easy to relate to seeing that many Stillwater students, including myself, attended Soundset. The facts were correct and the article was interesting. It also represented the festival well.

7. Katie Beedle on May 28th, 2014 8:40 pm

I think you really did a good job of portraying how soundset is and the hype that leads up to it. All the quotes and information were very good and contributed well to explaining what soundset is like.

8. Jasmine Amos on May 29th, 2014 6:47 pm

The article was very informational and relevant to students of Stillwater. The people interviewed were great choices.

9. Katie Wilmes on June 1st, 2014 3:22 pm

I think you did a really wonderful job capturing the energy and hype that so many students have regarding Soundset, because it’s a really popular event that people get excited for. The quotes and facts were all intertwined really nicely, and this whole topic is very relevant to the student body.

10. Cora Sutherland on June 1st, 2014 4:40 pm

This is a great article with lots of detailed information about the music festival and all of its features. The several sources and quotes also add to the article and connects the festival to SAHS and the student body. Nice work!

11. Carson Kuball on June 2nd, 2014 1:12 am

I think you did a great job with this article and explaining what Soundset is all about and why students enjoy it so much. I really like how relevant this topic is to our student body. I also liked that you got quotes from students about there favorite parts of the festival.

• Soundset Music Festival features popular hip hop artists

Soundest festival shows exciting lineup

Big fun at Big Thrill Factory

Sixth graders suit up for ‘The Lion King’

‘The Fate of the Furious’ kills box office

‘A Cure for Wellness’ receives mixed reviews

Live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ box office hit

Black Dog Cafe offers diversity of local artist, great food

Classic Disney films transcend time

‘Hidden figures’ brings untold true story to life

“La La Land” earns record number of accolades