Community performs in Best of Broadway

Photo by Lucy Langmack

Senior Jake Federowski stands center stage as Evan Goldman from the hit Broadway musical 13. Federowski starred in the musical with Stillwater Junior High School when he was a ninth grader in Spring 2010. Much of the cast got together for a reunion performance of the song “13/Becoming a Man.”

Andrea Rustad

You can’t stop the beat of the community theater’s spring variety show, performed on May 8-10. The theme was the Best of Broadway, meaning all the acts had to be songs from a Broadway production. The show featured songs and dances from all ages, as well as a few group numbers that were crowd-pleasers.

“This show is focused on Broadway numbers rather than pop music. Also, it includes more group dance numbers from popular musicals,” said junior Sarah Matschi.

“My favorite part of this particular show is that we are doing an act from the musical 13 with many of the people that were in the show in my eighth grade year.”

Although the song choices had to be from Broadway, as there are hundreds of Broadway musicals, there were still many options to choose from.

“Music is like people – they’re all different types. It’s fun to go listen to all the different music and people,” said sophomore Simon Leppicello. There were many different interpretations of the classic Broadway songs in this production, including dances, songs and musical numbers. The thing that tied it all together were their Broadway roots.

“Every single song was on Broadway and I love hearing and seeing what everyone is doing,” said sophomore Sara Swartz. These students, along with many other performers in the showcase, are also involved in theater and plays, which allows them to learn more about performing and share a mutual passion with their fellow performers.

“I love all the people involved and I have always loved singing, but theater has made me love dancing as well,” said Matschi. “I love singing and dancing and acting! Each one of them is different in their own way and they’re all very fun. I like those parts, but I also really like the connection you get with the other actors,” said Leppicello.

“You spend every day with them after school for two months and you get pretty close with people. That’s why the last performance is always so emotional because you don’t want to say goodbye.”

Many of the performers in this show had never participated in a community variety show before, but were encouraged to try it because of the new opportunities each show brings. “I decided to participate in the show because I had never done it before and it sounded really fun,” said Leppicello, who will be in a musical act with his older brother and father.

“I actually didn’t really want to do it, but my dad kept trying to convince me because it is my brother’s senior year and this will be the last time we can do this kind of thing together.”

With so many diverse acts, the Best of Broadway variety show was a must-see. There were many different acts spread over the three performances, so each night was a whole new show. “Unlike an actual musical or play, it is different every single night,” said Swartz. “

It’s a show filled with so many talented people going out on stage to share their talent with us.” Each Best of Broadway performance was great, and both the performers and the audience loved  every minute of their shared experience.

“My favorite thing about theater and performing is being able to share something exciting with the audience,” said Swartz. “They can tell that we love it.”