Softball Team Gears Up For Season

Carson Peterson, Social Media

To encourage the growth of girls’ softball at a high caliber and level of competition in the St. Croix Valley Area, Stillwater Softball was founded in 1984. The goal of this program is to help future softball players. “When I first started playing softball I was nervous because I didn’t think I was gonna be good and later through the season I’ve improved a lot”. McCormick said

The SAHS softball team is now doing tryouts to determine who will make the teams. The team typically practices at Stillwater’s leisure center and just behind the school, by the football field. “I love this sport because it gets everyone engaged and it’s a blast to play. It’s a hard sport but once you get the hang of it you’ll be one of the best on the team”, Dollorschell said. During the practices, the coaches put the players in different positions and moves players to positions that fit their strengths and the team’s needs to make the team better.  Daily practice has been going on for the softball team to prepare for the season, and this is expected to make a big impact on them to do well this year for SAHS.

Given the snowy spring, the team has been practicing in the high school gym and practices are very well planned. from last years season the softball team stormed back with aggression while topping East Ridge 10-1 in a Section 4AAA elimination.   The upcoming games are this April 4-13 through the weekdays at different venues. But the practices are 4-5 days a week at the high school fields.

The Stillwater varsity softball team defeated Irondale on April 6 in an out-of-conference game, 12-5. The Stillwater varsity softball team suffered a 3-0 defeat to East Ridge in a conference matchup at home on May 18. Because they exhibit the best sportsmanship and playing skills, Sarah Dollarshell and Brooke Mccormick are the key players to keep an eye on. They are helping the team work better together to try and win their games this season.

On Tuesday, May 19 of last year at Stillwater Area High School, senior Rachel Hartwig pitched a complete game one-hitter to lead the Stillwater softball team to a 1-0 victory against Tartan in the Section 4AAA quarterfinals. The Stillwater High School softball team is going to hopefully win championships this year. Stillwater is rooting for them and they need all their fans the be hyped for each game. The coaches have been really proud of their players sportsmanship and watching them play. This made the team come this far in the year.