Seniors apply for community scholarships

This+is+College+and+Career+Center+Coordinator+Alison+Schroeder%E2%80%99s+first+year+working+in+the+College+and+Career+Center.+She+helps+seniors+apply+to+colleges+and+helps+them+apply+for+scholarships.+

Photo by Kallie Fahs

This is College and Career Center Coordinator Alison Schroeder’s first year working in the College and Career Center. She helps seniors apply to colleges and helps them apply for scholarships.

Kallie Fahs, Podcast Reporter

Scholarships are open to seniors and money is given by people in the community. Every year there is $500,000 given in scholarships. Oftentimes people donate money for a personal reason. For example, if someone they loved died and they want to use it as a memorial for them.

Students tend to not apply for scholarships because they think they will not qualify for them. They assume they do not have good enough grades.

“There is a world of scholarships out there for students to apply for where they do not have to have a strong GPA or do not have GPA requirements,” coordinator Alison Schroeder said.

There are scholarships to apply for where all you have to do is fill out a form about themselves. It is great practice to apply for as many scholarships as they can.

“You fill out a brief application and a questionnaire and they pull a name out of a hat,” Schroeder said.

The way essay prompts are chosen for scholarships is by the families who choose to give money. The families who donate usually donate for a personal reason of something that they went through.

“The essay prompts are often personal or have to do if it is from a business, they might require that the student is planning to study something within that field or their business,” Schroeder said.

If students stay on top of the steps for applying for scholarships it does not have to take a long time. When the process is all said and done it may take 5 hours spread out over time.

From start to finish, opening to the Schoology course, you are looking, you’re reading through the instructions, you’re completing the application and the basic essay required, then there’s a additional searching through the scholarship list, I would say a solid week, ” Schroeder said.

There are scholarships where they allow students to apply more than once. There are scholarships that will allow you to apply again throughout college.

“Sometimes you look for scholarships say renewable, which means you can apply for your sophomore year, junior year, or senior year of college,” Schroeder said.

All of the principals in the district have started a brand new scholarship. They are looking for a senior who is looking to go to college or go into the military.

There is a world of scholarships out there that could apply to students that do not have to have a strong GPA or do not have GPA requirements.

— Alison Schroeder

”We have donated some money to create this $1,500 scholarship and we’re excited because it’s the very first one,” Assistant Principal Matt Kraft said.

When the principals try to figure out who should get the scholarship they look for someone who is a good leader. Someone who has taken advantage of leadership positions.

”The first thing is we greatly appreciate students that get involved in their school community and take on leadership positions.” Kraft said.

To be eligible for the scholarship students need to write an essay that answers a couple prompts. Where the student reflects on their leadership experiences throughout their years in school.

“Where they reflect on their leadership experiences in school whether it be elementary, or middle school or high school.” Kraft said.

“I think everyone should check out the different scholarships out there. If they feel confused, or overwhelmed, or assume they can’t do it or will not apply, they should come talk to me or their counselor, and utilize our help. ” Schroeder said.