Emily Kargel has the same para for 13 years

Emily+Kargel+and+Cindy+McClung+reading+a+book+together+on+a+hot+sunny+day.+

Photo submitted by Kristy Kargel

Emily Kargel and Cindy McClung reading a book together on a hot sunny day.

Senior Emily Kargel has had the same paraprofessional for 13 years, which is unusual. Normally, students switch paraprofessionals when they reach school milestones, like middle school and again at the high school. For Emily and Cindy, they have been fortunate to be together for all of Emily’s schooling experience in Stillwater.  This spring, when Emily graduates, her para Cindy McClung plans on retiring too.

Emily and Cindy are the only duo in the district that has been together for 13 years. Most students get new paras throughout the year, but not Emily. Her para has moved up with her from middle school to high school.  

McClung says she is lucky she, “got to follow Emily through from kindergarten and on because the district never used to let paras do that with students.’

Emily’s mom, Kristy Kargel said she thinks it is really cool that Emily and Cindy will have completed 13 years of school together.   

“The artwork that Emily and Cindy create together are really cool to see how they plan their project and then execute the project and the final product is definitely a mixture of Cindy and Emily together which is really cool,’’ Kristy said.

Cindy has been a big part of Emily’s schooling experience and she was even able to be a part of some of Emily’s senior pictures.   

Emily’s mom, Kristy Kargel said she thinks it is really cool that Emily and McClung, by the end of this when Emily graduates, will have completed thirteen years of school together.   

— Emily's Mom

Cindy said if she does not see Emily after she graduates she is going to have Emily withdrawals. She is even “thinking about possibly doing the transition program with Emily,” after Emily graduates this year.

Kristy is so thankful for the faithfulness that McClung has been for Emily.    

“Cindy has always believed in Emily and she has always advocated for Emily,’’ Kristy added.

“Emily is an amazing young lady once you get to know her,” Unified Physical Education teacher Paula Harrison said about having Emily in her class.