New candidates join school board

Pete+Kelzenberg+gets+involved+in+community.+He+helps+out+pony+pride+at+a+local+event.+

Photo submitted by Jeremiah Swartz

Pete Kelzenberg gets involved in community. He helps out pony pride at a local event.

Jeremiah Swartz, Graphics Editor and Copy Editor

New candidates have been selected and elected for the school board and the new candidates hope to shine a new light for the school board. Peter Kelzenberg and  Vivian Votava have joined the school board this fall. They plan on making a difference within the school board. They hope to help improve the community and the community’s impression of the school board. They want to enhance the lives of both students, and teachers and parents to increase their trust in the school system.

The schools board appointed Votava due to the resignation of a previous member. Votava has participated in events with the school board. She has paid close attention to the school board before she applied to become appointed. She watched meetings and events to understand the school board’s actions.

Votava explained that she moved here and she has always been curious about the school board. She applied to become a member thinking about how much completion there would be. The school board only received three applications total including hers and she was satisfied with the results and was called in to be appointed. 

Kelzenberg has worked with many parts of the district. He was been part of the Stillwater committee and is a local bus driver. He has worked with students of all grade levels and he is in touch with many students.

“I have been involved in the District at all grade levels and student abilities. I also have a unique perspective as a substitute bus driver which puts me in touch with students from all around the District at the beginning and end of the school day as well as the variety of extracurricular activities, ” Klenzburg explained.

Votava was appointed in late October. Due to her being appointed, she only has one year until her term expires because she was appointed. So in order for her to return she has to be elected.

My experience.  I have been involved in the District at all grade levels and student abilities.  I also have a unique perspective as a substitute bus driver which puts me in touch with students from all around the District at the beginning and end of the school day as well as the variety of extracurricular activities.”

— Peter Kelzenberg

He has spent the last 20 years as a parent in the school district. In his previous work, he worked in Community education pools.

“My selection was a continuation of the last election.   I supported those that won in 2020.  The same voters wanted to stay on that trajectory.  It also helped that I ran unopposed,” Kelzenberg said.

Both candidates have the same goal in mind and to have the schools run at maximum proficiency with the least amount of conflicts. They want to build trust with the community to minimize conflict and educate the students of the Stillwater community.