Flappy Bird flies up the charts

Graphic by Clara Ilkka

Kenzie Monson

Flappy bird, the new trend that has hit teenagers and even adults today is the most addicting game around. Just like the game candy crush or temple run, it will have its super star moment and be at the top sales for apps, but it could be out of fashion by the end of next week.

Students say the game is frustrating, hard and distracting, making it harder to focus on school work and learn the material the teachers are teaching them.

According to Android app store, out of 323 thousand people that have rated the app, 195 thousand of them rated it five stars, 48 thousand people rated it four stars, but about 44 thousand people rated it one star.

It is very frustrating because there is only one way to get a decent score at the game and that is having a flying bird pass through two tubes without touching them. If the bird touches either of the tubes then the bird dies and it goes back to the start of the game.

Sophomore Celeste Tomilnson said, “The constant anger and failure makes you want to do better and play more. This is more frustrating than temple run. You get addicted to wanting to beat your score and just want to keep playing.”

Junior Jonathan Koprek agreed with Tomilnson and added, “It is definitely more frustrating than temple run. The fact that it is frustrating makes people want to keep playing it to beat it and they get so absorbed in the game.”

The fact that it is addicting makes it hard for students to stay focused in school or other things going on a daily basis that need attention. Instead of doing homework, some students play this game to keep entertained or to avoid doing school work.

Junior Lauryn Millard said, “What makes this game so addicting is the fact that you want to beat your high school as well as be better than your friends at the game. In my free time I will play it and sometimes I will not start something else until I beat my old score. You get so irritated with the game that you just have to keep playing.”

Distracting is also a characteristic of this game, because students get distracted easy. Instead of doing homework, this is also an option and it always seems to win.

Tomilnson said, “It can get you distracted for a while when you probably could be doing something better with your life, like homework. Sometimes people get so aggravated that they just quit until later.”

The main point of the game is to get a bird through two tubes, and it seems like it would be easy. It really is not though, because the tubes move and it can be a challenge.

Koprek stated, “My favorite part of the game is flying through the poles and getting a better score.”

This new trend has the potential to stay around, if students do not get too frustrated by it. Every trend eventually dies out, but flappy bird is the hottest new app out there.