Artists inspire students to make music a lifelong career

Junior Breanna Schultz is one of many students at SAHS who have been inspired by a musician or a musical group.

“I plan on taking it to the next level,” explains junior Breanna Schultz.  “I am not a religious person, but I look to music for consolation when I need to think.”

Music plays such a huge role in the life of teens today.  So much that students are inspired to take their musical skills to the next level and lead a lifelong career in the musical department.

Music is a popular outlet for many students in high school, however many plan on taking it in college after high school and few students plan on becoming majors in music.  Those who are interested are able to join band, orchestra or choir in order to expand their musical interests.  There also is the option of music theory, which is a class that teaches all the technical aspects of studying and writing music.

“My parents were my greatest influence” said Schultz.  “It started with Bob Seger then my dad showed me some obscure music.”  The beginning of any student’s musical interest is with their parents.  Students grow up listening to the music their parents have introduced to them and then branch off their passions from there.

“When, I was six, I didn’t listen to music much before then, but I heard the song ‘American Pie’ and I wanted to know what it was about,”  explains junior Blake Skluzacek.  “I tend to dissect music, pick out details and after listening to an artist or style I get sick of it and move on.”  Students expand their knowledge in music by taking their favorite music and find out what makes those songs a hit.  Then using what they have learned about that certain song, they create songs of their own.

“Neil Peart, in my opinion, is the best drummer of all time and I look up to the skills he has and steps he has taken to achieve,” said Skluzacek.

Most students find an artist that they can relate to and set for themselves certain goals and checkpoints in achieving what they want to get out of their musical interests.

“Music helps me get through homework and life in general,” explains Schultz.  “I would probably be on of the most depressing people ever if I didn’t have music in my life.”  Since music has become such a major part of students’ lives and the music departments help feed that love and passion, students are much more happy to come to school and work through the day.  They are able to walk into class and do something they love to do, create music with fellow peers with the same drives.

The music departments are strongly coordinated and any student is able to get into a musical class and advance in their interest for the art.  Students planning on taking a music class in college would best start with the basics and find what they like and grow from there.