Tin Bins hosts local performers

Photo by Olivia Braun

Tin Bins, a popular new restaurant downtown, often hosts music groups, including student musicians from the high school. This musical style of hospitality has attracted many customers to the upstart restaurant.

Nicole Loe

Local Stillwater residents are often some of the most passionate, hard working, and dedicated performers, as seen through our schools’ music programs, but also community music involvements as well. Brian Wicklund, a local Stillwater resident, along with his group of performing students aged seven to 65 performed at “Tin Bins”, a new restaurant downtown Stillwater, on Dec. 19.

Primarily, Wicklund teaches students the art of fiddling, a passion that Wicklund has had for many years.

“I took violin lessons from when I was seven to nine years old. I wasn’t an especially good student. However, when I was ten I heard bluegrass for the first time and completely flipped out. I practiced hard and tried to learn from records and from tape recordings I made of other fiddlers,” said Wicklund.

This love of the bluegrass genre has inspired Wicklund ever since, and also influences much of the music his students play.

“Bluegrass and fiddle music was such an important part of my life, it kept me sane as a teen,” Wicklund explained.

Additionally, Wicklund has been fortunate enough to turn his passion into a successful career, allowing to travel all over the world.