‘The Fate of the Furious’ kills box office

Ava De Jonge, In Studio Photo Editor

Infographic by Ava De Jonge

“The Fate of the Furious” should be awarded for the best comedy of this year, but filmmakers probably did not intend for it to be that way. Surprisingly enough, this movie still had enough gas left in it for this eighth installment that was released on April 14. This movie is perfectly packed with cheesy line deliveries and satirical stunts.

The old team is back with Vin Diesel playing Dom Toretta, Dwayne Johnson playing Luke Hobbs, Jason Statham as Deckard Shaw, Michelle Rodriguez as Dom’s wife, Letty Ortiz, Tyrese Gibson as Roman Pierce and Ludacris as Tej Parker.

These famous crime-fighting team is called back together when Mr. Nobody, who is played by Kurt Russell, when Dom mysteriously turns traitor and joins forces with Cipher (Charlize Theron) to steal a dangerous EMP device.  The team must work with Little Nobody, who is played by Scott Eastwood, to stop Dom and Cipher.

According to Time Magazine, “The Fate of the Furious” bought in an estimated $532.5 million in it’s global box office debut. That beats the previous record set by “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which had previously raked in $529 million across the world in its opening weekend.

Sophomore Lyrik Flowers said, “I thought the movie was really good compared to the other installments. I would not recommend this movie to others, but it was interesting how they set a new global record for opening weekend.”

“I thought the movie was really good compared to the other installments. I would not recommend this movie to others, but it was interesting how they set a new global record for opening weekend.”

— Lyrik Flowers

“The Fate of the Furious” received average ratings from top critics on Rotten Tomatoes (58%) and a seven out of ten rating on IMDb.

Many critics such as the New York Times said, “Zoom, crash, repeat with squealing, burning and flaming tires — it’s all predictably absurd and self-mocking, and often a giggle when not a total yawn.”

Although, this movie may not be sparking interests for many. “The Fate of the Furious” has a wide variety of hitmakers such as Pitbull, Wiz Khalifa, Migos and Lil Yachty that come together to celebrate riding and racing over a mix of R&B, hip-hop, reggaeton and EDM.

Junior Kayla Brown said, “I think the variety of artists added and improved the quality of the movie. I did not enjoy the movie but the music definitely added to the movie to create a more enjoyable atmosphere.”

According to Independent, there is an expect ninth installment to be released in early 2019 and very soon after a tenth installment to be released in 2021.

1 Comment

One Response to “‘The Fate of the Furious’ kills box office”

1. Carl Bohacek on May 9th, 2017 10:57 am

I like the angle they took, talking about how there’s were kind of cheesy parts but that made it better. The stats also supported the review both critic acclaim action and box office amounts

• ‘The Fate of the Furious’ kills box office

Soundest festival shows exciting lineup

Big fun at Big Thrill Factory

Sixth graders suit up for ‘The Lion King’

‘A Cure for Wellness’ receives mixed reviews

Live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ box office hit

Black Dog Cafe offers diversity of local artist, great food

Classic Disney films transcend time

‘Hidden figures’ brings untold true story to life

“La La Land” earns record number of accolades

Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds