Skaret helps Bundbugs become more successful

May 3, 2017

Seniors Charlie Skaret, Kai Knudson and Ben O’Malley performed at Winter Coffeehouse and invited former SAHS graduates Lars Stannard and Max Ylitalo up on stage to play the cowbell and tambourine. “Lars and Max play whatever we need them to. They can play anything from auxiliary percussion, drums, guitar, bass, keyboard, as well as vocals,” Charlie says.

Bundbugs is the current name of the constantly evolving band whose origin is shrouded in secrecy. The band view themselves as the successor to The Beatles and senior Charlie Skaret is the lead singer.

We have plenty of things in store that promise to shock and awe.”

— Charlie Skaret

The beginning of the band can be traced back to Sept. when Skaret and senior Kai Knudson were looking for a drummer, who turned out to be senior Ben O’Malley. The three boys have lately had their biggest victory at Battle of the Bands.

Skaret said, “Winning Battle of the Bands was certainly a thrill. The best part of winning is that it helped establish us, it led people to knowing our name.”

Goals

The Bundbugs is a group of boys who came together for the sake of rock and roll. They do occasional house shows in Skaret garage, a place known as the “Lounge,”  have played a few small gigs and performed at Coffeehouse. This summer, they will be performing at a wedding as well as grad parties and their goal is to record an album. They play a lot of covers but would like to get more into songwriting.

Skaret said, “We have plenty of things in store that promise to shock and awe.”

Along with other gigs, the band would like to spark an audience of their own at Ziggy’s, a restaurant downtown Stillwater and surprise people with their ability to rock and roll.

Performing in harmony

Teamwork is just as important to the success of a band as it is to an athletic victory or a good grade on a group project. In order for the band to appreciate the final product, it is vital that every member put in the work. Happiness comes from working well together.

Skaret explained, “When I perform it’s as if I go on autopilot and become one with the music, I just do what feels right for that exact moment. As for being the lead singer, it allows me to somewhat guide the group in the right direction, but we all contribute to the final product and what appears on stage is the culmination of all our energy and passion. We all feel the music and play off one another.”

Support

Skaret determined that their biggest supporters are their friends, particularly those in Wind Symphony and especially music teacher Dennis Lindsay.

Skaret said, “Mr. Lindsay has been a big help and I wouldn’t be musically where I am now if it wasn’t for him.”

Kai believes themselves as a band are their strongest supporters, financially and emotionally. He considers Ben and S to be his best friends.

“We have good chemistry musically and as friends, and a pretty similar sense of humor and musical preference. We hang out a lot, in and out of band practice,” said Kai.

According to both Kai and Skaret, all people really have to know is that the Bundbugs rock and roll.

3 Responses to “Skaret helps Bundbugs become more successful”

1. Quinn Kuslich on May 7th, 2017 6:15 pm

Great article it was a really interesting, I liked the word choice it gave this article more personality. It was interesting to read this news story about them, being successful.

2. Katie Tanski on May 8th, 2017 12:41 pm

Mariah’s story is really well written and I really liked how she connected these kids to the beatles. She got some amazing quotes from these boys which made reading this article way more entertaining.

3. Mason Urban on May 9th, 2017 11:41 am

This is a great story and was very interesting. I really liked how good the quotes were