Filed under News, Photo Slide Shows

New teachers transition to high school

Science teacher Ben Straka says, "My jokes don't work at the senior high as well as they did at the junior high. It was one of the major first differences I found. The maturity of the students at the high school has been the huge change and has allowed me to be a successful teacher up at the high school." His transition has positive effects on students.

With the new construction and transition of ninth graders, more faculty is needed to cater to all students. As the transition plan has added new buildings to the existing school, the hiring process of new teachers will progress.

This construction process has already made an immense impact on the school due to the moving around of students. This plan has been in the works for many years and is nearing completion.

Rachel Anselmo, Assistant to the Principal, shared teacher’s names moving from Stillwater Junior High. There are many, but some include: English teacher Ing-Mari Ryan, Math teacher Patricia Sperle and Science teacher Dave Kaul are some recognized teachers transitioning to the high school.

Mixed emotions have come along with this such as students distracted from construction, more congestion in the parking lot and creating a larger school from already 2,400 students.

Assistant Principal Chris Otto said, “We are in the hiring process currently. The hiring process is complex and is varied by new teachers, as they move up from other schools.”

The maturity of the students at the high school has been the huge change and has allowed me to be a successful teacher up at the high school”

— Ben Straka

The addition of new teachers will help balance class sizes and provide more movement for faculty. With the variation of classrooms and hallways for departments, the school will be restructured and many teachers will move classrooms.

Science teacher Ben Straka said, “My jokes don’t work at the senior high as well as they did at the junior high. It was one of the major first differences I found. The maturity of the students at the high school has been the huge change and has allowed me to be a successful teacher up at the high school. Differences of teaching at the junior and high school are very different due to moving schools.”

Many existing teachers have different opinions on next year’s transition. Some are thrilled as it is a new change to teach another grade for some.

Straka said, “[It is nice] working with students that are in here [the classroom] to learn and have great questions and it’s a different realm than at the junior high.”

The transitions of new teachers will help the entire student body and faculty by providing an all around experience for students.

16 Responses to “New teachers transition to high school”

1. Emma Salmi on May 5th, 2017 2:02 pm

She did a good job researching to find important information about the construction and how it is affecting teachers and students. All the fact paragraphs are strong. I also liked how she got quotes from a variety of people in different positions.

2. Andria Barrett on May 5th, 2017 7:47 pm

This article has really strong quotes from a variety of people who are tied to the high school. It is well researched and I learned more about the subject from reading this story.

3. Abby Banks on May 7th, 2017 1:50 pm

I enjoyed this article a lot! I thought the piece was well researched, and I learned a lot about the changes that are occurring within the school district. I thought the quotes were interesting and compelling, which shows the interviewing skills used. Great job!

4. Mira LaNasa on May 7th, 2017 4:31 pm

I really enjoyed this article. It explained the changes coming to the high school very well and helps clarify some of the details for next year. I enjoyed the interviews which the author chose as it adds multiple perspectives.

5. Quinn Kuslich on May 7th, 2017 6:03 pm

“The maturity of the students at the high school has been the huge change and has allowed me to be a successful teacher up at the high school” I really liked this quote because it helps show the transition that these teachers are going through. Its good to see an article like this.

6. Kayla Gjerde on May 7th, 2017 6:23 pm

There was some really good vocabulary in here. Maybe more interviews from other teachers that are still at the junior high and are coming uo next to see what they are looking forward to. I thought Mr. Straka’s quote was funny.

7. Olivia Weirtz on May 7th, 2017 9:22 pm

The knowledge about why teachers are coming up and how it will effect the school was strong, however it may have been valuable to speak with a teacher who is transitioning from the junior high to the high school for 2017-2018.

8. Maya Aflakpi on May 8th, 2017 7:53 am

I really liked this article and how informative it was. It gave new information about the topic that I had no idea about. The word choice used in this article were great. Overall this article was well researched with really detailed quotes.

9. Gabe Wagner on May 8th, 2017 9:28 am

I thought that it was a very good article. Did a good job explaining what the transition is and also what teachers are going to be the ones coming here. Also had good quotes from teachers and staff.

10. Sonia Moran on May 8th, 2017 10:53 am

I like how you also put the negative affects the construction has on the students. Great article. It really does explain how much he school is changing and how it affects people in the schools community.

11. Noah Johnson on May 8th, 2017 8:43 pm

I thought the research was done well to find out how new teacher’s are affected. I thought Straka’s quotes were funny and they drew me in from the beginning. Not much improvement needed, maybe a more interesting title.

12. Mariah Marsnik on May 8th, 2017 10:28 pm

This article shows that Elise did good research on the topic. I like the quotes in it because they were informative but also made me smile. I think that a few more quotes would have made the story better but it is still good the way it is.

13. Sam Johnson on May 9th, 2017 12:13 am

Author did a really good job with her research, finding out about both the construction and its potential effects, and conducting interviews with a couple of the new teachers. The interviews gave a good insight for what to expect from some of the incoming teachers

14. Hannah Larson on May 9th, 2017 10:27 am

The article is really well written and helps people understand how this transition is going to not only help the students, but the teachers as well.

15. Travis Jacobson on May 9th, 2017 11:17 am

This article has really strong quotes from people who know what they’re talking about. This gave great insight into what is happening with the staff.

16. Kaitlyn Launderville on May 17th, 2017 11:58 am

This article was really written well with a good range of vocabulary. It had some good strong quotes also. I think it could’ve had more quotes from the students and junior high teachers. But overall really good article.

• New teachers transition to high school

Youth social enterprise camp sparks students’ interests

Oak Park, Marine, Withrow elementaries enjoy last school year

Link Crew helps bridge high school grade gap

Pony Time study block instated soon

Molenda creates ‘Pivot Stillwater’ app for locals, tourists

District 834 spends $8.8 million on long range facilities renovations

Local News

Conference system changes aim to serve all families

Admin updates new bathroom policies, monitoring in response to vaping, vandalism

Activities

Parents, committee plan all-night party

BLAST week provides opportunity for community to come together

New teachers transition to high school