Filed under Arts, TV & Film Reviews

‘A Cure for Wellness’ receives mixed reviews

Information Graphic by Thomas Johnson

A new horror movie has recently been released and is titled, A Cure for Wellness. This science fiction psychological horror thriller film is directed by Gore Verbinski and written by Justin Haythe. There is an intriguing plot behind the movie and has been an entertaining source of fun for the younger population. There have been mixed reviews with the movie so far.  It accurately provides horror, but some of it may be too predictable or very disturbing at certain parts.

“A Cure for Wellness” came out on Feb. 17, and is listed as a horror, fantasy and mystery movie. The movie has many people confused after they see it because of a peculiar ending and different traditional movies being combined into the film. The movie has a lifetime gross of $8,031,171 and made $4,356,941 in its opening.

“A Cure for Wellness” can be seen across 2,704 different theaters across the U.S. The film is recommended for people who like horror movies or those who enjoy a peculiar, but interesting, movie in general.

“A Cure for Wellness” has an interesting plot and story line behind it. A man named Lockhart who is a young executive is sent to a mysterious rehabilitation center in the Swiss Alps to meet with the CEO of the center whose name is Pembroke. The center is trying to find a certain “cure” that will help solve the people’s problems, but Lockhart learns that there really is no cure. The people are being brainwashed and have been told that Pembroke and others are trying to find the cure to save them. Once again, the film is full of intriguing story lines, characters and other horror factors.

Junior Maya Yokanovich explained, “I was very intrigued from the moment I started watching it, because of the mysterious actions of the characters and you could tell it was a horror movie. In addition, I liked how the plot involved interesting aspects such as the scene, the music that was played in the film, and the randomness that caught my attention while watching which was very entertaining.”

There have been mixed reviews about, “A Cure for Wellness” as it has left many viewers confused, because of a peculiar (non-traditional) ending or viewers may have been too disgusted at certain parts. The film received a 6.6/10 rating on IMDb and a 40 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes which are two credible movie raters. Some people have critiqued it by saying it was too predicable at times, but others think that there is a great deal of randomness that entertains and keeps the viewer on their feet.

Maya Yokanovich”

— I was very intrigued from the moment I started watching it, because of the mysterious actions of the characters and you could tell it was a horror movie. In addition, I liked how the plot involved interesting aspects such as the scene, the music that was played in the film, and the randomness that caught my attention while watching which was very entertaining.

When asked what he would give, “A Cure for Wellness” on a scale of 1-10, junior Bryce Welsch said, “I would give it a 7 or an 8, because it definitely wasn’t the best horror movie I’ve ever seen, but it definitely was entertaining. I disagree with the reviewers who said it was too predicable, because I found it to be interesting in its own way and the film had my full attention throughout its course.”

“A Cure for Wellness” has been said to be a good choice for many horror movie fans, or for the younger population. For horror movie fans, the film contains that sense of horror, but there’s also the element of surprise and intelligence that was behind it so that it isn’t like any other horror movie. The film is recommended for the more younger population, because it’s extremely visually appealing and is able to gather kids attention faster than an adults. Also, it’s a fantasy and science-fiction based, which usually will appeal to a younger population rather than an older one.

When asked about who he would recommend the movie to, senior Wyatt Roth explained, “I would definitely recommend it to any people who are big horror movie fans, because it satisfies that genre and includes other interesting aspects. Also, I would recommend it to anyone who likes to really think during a movie, because the science fiction and fantasy part can get you thinking about the future.”

“A Cure for Wellness” is definitely not your household horror movie, but the plot is unique and gathers many viewers attention throughout its course. The film has gathered a lot of attention since its release and will continue to climb up the charts for the coming weeks. There certainly have been mixed reviews, but it seems as if a lot of people have really enjoyed the film as it combines horror, fantasy and science fiction into one film that can entertain anyone.

5 Responses to “‘A Cure for Wellness’ receives mixed reviews”

1. Hailey Laubscher on April 20th, 2017 8:18 am

I like how the article had 3 students as sources as well as a couple credible facts throughout the article. I think that the lead could have been a bit more intriguing and draw the reader in with a fun fact or quote. Overall the story gave a good background on what someone would experience if they went and saw the movie.

2. Max Korth on May 1st, 2017 10:11 pm

This article was very compelling to me because it gave many different viewpoints of how the movie was perceived, by the people and by the critics. I also think it was very persuasive, even if it wasn’t intended to, because the way it was described makes me want to go watch the movie now. This article also had a lot of solid interviews and opinions of other students in the school on the movie, which really strengthened the article.

3. Adam Humpal on May 7th, 2017 7:13 pm

I thought the quotes used in the article were strong and worked well in the movie review. I also thought it was interesting how it included the rating from the professional critics as well as ratings from the students who watched the movie. Lastly the summary of the movie gave enough information to make it interesting, but at the same time didn’t give away the crucial parts of the movie.

4. Gideon Bimpey on May 7th, 2017 11:52 pm

This article had a good sense of ethos and was very informative. It had many different viewpoints and was diverse in the student choice, which broadened the view of the story. Overall, this was an amazing article to read. 10/10.

5. Audra Risberg on May 8th, 2017 8:47 pm

I really like how you interviewed three different people who had different things to say about the movie. Showing both the positives and negatives of the movie really lets readers decide on whether they want to see the movie or not. Having a mix between professional and student reviews lets readers form a more informed opinion.

• ‘A Cure for Wellness’ receives mixed reviews

Soundest festival shows exciting lineup

Big fun at Big Thrill Factory

Sixth graders suit up for ‘The Lion King’

‘The Fate of the Furious’ kills box office

Live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ box office hit

Black Dog Cafe offers diversity of local artist, great food

Classic Disney films transcend time

‘Hidden figures’ brings untold true story to life

“La La Land” earns record number of accolades

Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds