Filed under Arts, TV & Film Reviews

Live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ box office hit

The new live-action “Beauty and the Beast” movie is going to be a hit with younger generations, families and even the older generations that grew up with the original 1991 classic.

The movie is due to come out March 17. Filming for the movie started on May 8, 2015 and ended August 21, 2015. Most of the voice actors have already been in other animated Disney films. Josh Gad voiced Olaf in “Frozen” and Kevin Kline voiced Phoebus in “Hunchback of Notre Dame”.

The cast of the movie is well liked and it seems that everyone is a perfect fit for their character that they are portraying. Emma Watson is playing Belle, who is most known for her character Hermione Granger, in the Harry Potter series. Other notable actors in the movie are Sir Ian Mckellan, who is voicing Cogsworth and Ewan McGregor, who is voicing Lumiere.

“I’m really excited for the cast, mostly for Ian Mckellan but I’m especially excited for Ewan McGregor because Lumiere is my favorite character from the movie,” junior Jake Sweetland said.

I’m really excited for the cast, mostly for Ian Mckellan but I’m especially excited for Ewan McGregor because Lumiere is my favorite character from the movie.”

— Jake Sweetland

The newest movie is having some criticisms over the changes in it, but overall, the plot and the songs are generally the same. The 1991 original ran for 84 minutes and the live-action version runs for 124 minutes.  Everyone has their own opinion of what is their favorite part is, and Disney is trying to appeal to all types of people.

“It seems that it’s the exact same other than the new on is live-action. I don’t know which one I’ll like more because I haven’t seen the animated one in a couple of years,” Sweetland said.

Computer-generated imagery (CGI) is heavily relied on in the movie and it does not seem like the best option. Almost everyone in the movie who isn’t a real actor has some part of CGI used to make their character more real. Beast, Mrs. Potts, and her son Chip, Lumiere and Cogsworth are examples of CGI that is being used in the movie.

It seems as though Disney has always done a good job with live-action remakes of Disney movies. “Alice in Wonderland” and “The Jungle Book” are both movies that Disney used CGI in and that succeeded well in the box office. More live action movies are possibly being made in time to come. There are high expectations being seen with “Beauty and the Beast” and it seems like it is going to be a success.

“It’s one of my favorite childhood movies and I’ve always had a soft spot for Chip because he’s so adorable,” junior Alie Wohlwend said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ box office hit”

1. McKenzie Bohlig on April 18th, 2017 1:08 pm

There are many spelling and general errors in this story, which is not the fault of the writer but it should have been checked more closely. There is also conflicting opinion within the same paragraph on the use of CGI in the movie. Overall, the story is an interesting topic and one that all high schoolers can understand because we grew up with it.

• Live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ box office hit

‘A Cure for Wellness’ receives mixed reviews

Black Dog Cafe offers diversity of local artist, great food

Classic Disney films transcend time

‘Hidden figures’ brings untold true story to life

“La La Land” earns record number of accolades

Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds

Drake rebrands himself

‘Everything you want me to be’ inspired by Minnesota locations

The Weekend becomes ‘Starboy’ with album topping charts

‘Hamilton’ mixtape features modern singers