Softball trains hard, prepares for season

The softball team is training hard in the off season for their up and coming year.  The girls are practicing together so they can do their best their best in a challenging season.  Many of the softball players are playing domeball to prepare for their season.  

Domeball is held at the St. Croix Valley Recreation center on weekend mornings.  It allows softball players to practice indoors during the winter.  This allows more dedicated softball players to practice before the season and get a head start over other players.   

Players have chosen to play dome ball to strengthen their skills and maximize their off season training time.  Being selected to play domeball is special because players enjoy having a taste of softball before their season.  While domeball is not a perfect representation of softball because of the artificial environment, it is a great way to help keep players on track.  

Junior Tatiana Tabucol said, “Domeball is a great way to practice before we get to actual live play in the spring time.  We get live pitching and our plays.  It’s a lot of fun.”

What most fastpitch players love about domeball is that it’s less stressful while still improving their performance.  Athletes are also attending hitting clinics, lifting and eating right.  Domeball allows people who love softball to play the game, but in a less competitive environment.  

Senior Emma Murphy explained,  “It’s [domeball] more laid back.  We try to have a lot of fun with the girls because our head coach coach isn’t there.  We’re still competing but we make it more fun and relaxed.”

This season is going to differ from previous because it is a much younger team than before.  Six senior varsity players graduated last year leaving a big gap in the team to be filled.  The younger team means players are going to have to practice much harder to get the same results, or better, as before.

Softball coach Bob Beedle added, “We graduate incredible senior softball players every season. They always seem irreplaceable. I choose to look at the seven letter winners we have returning and the talent pool of younger players that will be asked to step up and play at the varsity level. We are probably deeper in terms of raw talent than we have been in several years. Time will tell if that talent pool will grow enough to compete for championships. I like our chances. Ultimately, it’s the player’s team and they will determine their success. I believe this group is excited and ready to go. I’ll try my best to guide the ship.”