Take notice, skater brands attract attention

Gideon Bimby, Social Media Reporters

Rustam Rustamov sporting clean high top black vans. Vans clothing have become a popular choice for students because of their unique styles.

Popular trends always find their way to high school students. The most recent trend people are starting to notice are people wearing skater brands, such as Thrasher, Vans and Supreme.

Thrasher makes a lot of limited edition clothing, and I think it’s great because not a lot of people can buy the same sweatshirt. They sell out real fast so it makes me feel unique.”

— Mady Baitz

The trend started sometime in 2014. It has just been a growing epidemic ever since. Thrasher and Vans are the most prevalent in the school. They are appealing to the eye and flashy, which is why it might be a big trend now. Student cannot cross a corner of SAHS without seeing a Thrasher or Vans logo.

Thrasher started in Jan. 1981 as a magazine company by Kevin Thatcher, Eric Swenson, and Fausto Vitello and slowly became a clothing line. Vans, which started as a couple versions of the first “authentic” vans shoes in an empty store, was founded in 1966, by brothers James and Paul Van Doren.

“Thrasher makes a lot of limited edition clothing, and I think it’s great because not a lot of people can buy the same sweatshirt. They sell out real fast so it makes me feel unique,” senior Mady Baitz said.

Most people that wear thrasher do not even affiliate themselves with the skater crowd. These people are called “posers”. But in actual reality, most skaters do not even know how Thrasher originated.

Sometimes if a student is not somehow associated with skaters, that student might get called a poser. “I get angry when people call me a poser,” junior Maya Perkins said. “My friends would sometimes joke around with it, even though I don’t really skate too hard. I have an appreciation for the skate culture, so I think that’s enough to rep it.”

Many celebrities have donned the infamous flaming Thrasher logo and high top white striped vans, like Rihanna, Lexi Boling, Gigi Hadid, Chris Brown and Justin Bieber. Do not expect this trend to be a forever thing. It is just a pop culture trend and will most likely die out in the next year or so when another brand pops up.

Skater wear has become a new fashion trend, and it seems absurd and not fair to only limit it to skaters. A lot of the time, the skater brand wearers are ridiculed. Skater wear should be for the general public and not a select group of people that skate.

“You don’t have to be a snowboarder to wear Burton. You don’t have to be a skater to wear it. You don’t have to be a specific type of person to wear a certain brand of clothing,” sophomore Jamie Martin said. “I love the community based around it; the way it makes you feel is amazing.”

4 Responses to “Take notice, skater brands attract attention”

1. Aaron Yang on March 12th, 2017 10:42 pm

I liked how this article was informative of the different brands of shoes. It gives the readers a little background knowledge of the shoes. I liked how the quotes gives us the student’s opinions of why they enjoy wearing the brand shoes.

2. Max Korth on March 27th, 2017 4:51 pm

You have clearly done a lot of research on this topic, or have plenty of first hand knowledge, because the connections made in this article really show your experience with this. Also I liked how the interviews spanned from people who don’t skate but wear the brands, and people who do skate and also wear the brands, to try and get both sides of the argument.

3. Hunter Hippel on March 27th, 2017 7:36 pm

I think it is interesting how these skater brands are now super popular, and your story did a good job of capturing that and addressing some of the negatives people who wear it experience.

4. Hailey Buelow on April 3rd, 2017 9:23 pm

I liked how this article included a lot of information about the brands, and ready went deep into detail on why these brands are so popular. The article actually informed you about the backstory of the brands and not only why high schoolers are wearing them which I think is cool. I also like how the author included a part about how sometimes students who wear these brands are posers, because as a high school student myself, I am aware of these judgments. The quotes also tied the story together nicely.

• Take notice, skater brands attract attention

Student Life

Graduation, right around the corner

Photo Slide Shows

Mattson, Constant begin makeup account

Student Life

French students, teachers anticipating 2018 trip

Student Life

New recycling opportunities in Stillwater Community

Photo Slide Shows

Nerf War tradition continues

Student Life

Community rallies, save bees

Fashion Blog

Fashion and comfort found in Bralettes

Photo Slide Shows

Apple Air Pods become easy, lightweight alternative to earbuds

Student Life

Preparing for college admissions tests, resources easily available

Photo Slide Shows

Science teacher Weaver offers dating advice to students