Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds

Nicholas Gag, Social Media Editor

Quinn Kuslich, Noah Ness, Carl Bohacek

It is that time of the year again. The Battle of the Bands took place on Feb. 3. Several bands are prepared for this competition. It shows friends, family and the community just how hard they have been working.

“I think this year’s competition will be great. I have never been to Battle of the Bands, but I am looking forward to it,” junior Matt Payne said.

Music is a great way for people to express themselves. The audience can get to know the band by listening to their music. Some groups may have played in similar conditions, but any time there is a big live crowd it would be worth playing at.

“I like how they get the chance to play in front of family and friends and it has an incentive,” Payne said.

This year’s competition featured five bands: 40 Below, Educated Guess, Land Whale, Mouthful and The Bungdungz . Every band was confident that they would take it home. Of course this is a friendly competition, but everybody wanted to win this competition. The winner got to take home a $200 grand prize.

Sophomore Joe Weckworth said, “I don’t know, I don’t want to be cocky but I think we have a good shot at it.”

Crowds witnessed the Bungdungz winning the competition and the prize in a close race. Mouthful and 40 Below finished right behind them.

“I don’t really have a background in this type of music, but I still think I will enjoy the competition. Each band works so hard so I think it will be worth the price of admission,” Payne said.

Exposure is a part of playing in a band. Battle of the Bands is a way to get a band’s name out there and draw some interest. Playing for friends and family is not the only perk of performing in Battle of the Bands, the participants can see other bands perform live and learn a few things.

“It’s not about the money, it’s more about seeing where we stack up against everyone else and get our name out there a little bit,” said Weckworth.

Bands come from many different backgrounds. Each band had their own unique sound and style. These influences can be seen through these bands music. These influences come through emotions and feelings the band’s feels or maybe they just like the sound, these inspirations are all around us. Every band had their own style and the crowd loved it.

“We listen to a lot of the classic rock music, so bands like Cream, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the stones and things like that,” said Weckworth.

These bands had been preparing for a while and were excited to give the school a show. This year’s competition lived up to the hype, now it is time for the bands to prepare for next year.