Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Winter activities leave no room for boredom

The ice castles downtown Stillwater have been a fun addition to the town. It has brought people from all over Minnesota to Stillwater. Jane Hubbard says, "They should definitely bring back the ice castles next year."

Looking for fun activities for the cold Minnesota winter, Stillwater is the place to be. There are an abundance of things to keep stay busy while waiting for summer to arrive.

Students are notorious for finding cool things to do to keep themselves busy. Some of these activities include skiing or snowboarding, exploring new places and ice skating.

Afton Alps Ski Area is a known favorite among students. Besides being a great place to ski or snowboard with a total of about 300 skiable acres,  Afton has turned into a community for many. Afton is about 20 minutes outside of Stillwater and it is open from 9:30a.m. to 9:30p.m. daily.

Sophomore Joe Blomquist loves Afton Alps, Blomquist explained, “Afton is a great place because not only do you get to participate in a physical activity, but it’s a really fun social setting too.”

Lift tickets at Afton Alps range from $43 to $53 for a single day ticket. There is also the option to purchase a season pass which provides the buyer with unlimited passes not only to  Afton, but to all Vail owned resorts including Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Park City, Heavenly, Northstar, Mt. Brighton and various other resorts nationwide, all for a single payment ranging from $379 to $729, according to Afton Alps.

Ice skating always has been and always will be a classic winter activity that everyone loves to do. Minnesotans are practically born on the ice so skating is a super fun thing to do in the winter”

— Michelle Burton

Blomquist said, “The season pass is expensive, but it is definitely worth it since you get to go enjoy any time you want and as many times as you want.”

The Epic Pass has proven itself to be the most convenient method for a lot of skier and snowboarders.

Downtown Stillwater has added a new attraction, ice castles. The ice castle exhibit is a place where people can explore the man made castles. It is set up like a maze with lights and other festive decorations. There are even slides made out of ice to play on.

Junior Jane Hubbard has visited the ice castles and loved them. Hubbard said, “The ice castles are most fun at night because of the lights. It makes you feel like you’re in a fairy tail.”

People are hoping that Stillwater decides to bring the ice castles back next year.

Ice skating has always been a classic winter activity for all ages. The best place to skate this year is the Wells Fargo WinterSkate, which is a free, outdoor skating rink in St. Paul. The WinterSkate even has free mini classes for skaters of all abilities.

Sophomore Michelle Burton said, “Ice skating always has been and always will be a classic winter activity that everyone loves to do. Minnesotans are practically born on the ice so skating is a super fun thing to do in the winter.”

Afton Alps, the ice castles and ice skating are only a few of the many activities to do this winter. However, skiing or snowboarding seems to be the biggest hit among students. Blomquist said, “If you haven’t tried skiing or snowboarding, go try it. It’s something you can do at any time in your life.”

9 Responses to “Winter activities leave no room for boredom”

1. Jared Taylor on March 15th, 2017 8:02 am

The story is well and has great quotes. But the best part of the article comes from the three totally different ideas the story gives the read to do in the winter. This portion of the story shows how much research was put into the article to give students accurate winter activities information.

2. Kaitlyn Launderville on March 15th, 2017 7:28 pm

I really liked the introduction into this article, it was very catchy and I wanted to keep reading. It was really cool how you gave multiple ideas instead of just 1 or 2. Your quotes were very well developed and this article was very well written!

3. Owen Landrud on March 15th, 2017 8:03 pm

The story is very well written with several insightful quotes that expand on the opinion of those who live in the community. The story also has a solid structure of the fact, quote style while still expanding upon it to make it more interesting.

4. Sonia Moran on March 16th, 2017 11:25 am

Great article. Your body paragraphs are strong and I love how you included prices and information about Afton. Also, I really like your transitions between body paragraphs.

5. Mason Urban on March 24th, 2017 3:59 pm

I like how you wrote about multiple activities and showed the students perspective on the activities. Great article.

6. Noah Johnson on March 27th, 2017 7:59 pm

Made great points and got phenomenal sources to formulate solid quotes. The focus of the article was straight forward. All together a great article on what there is to do in Stillwater during the winter.

7. Emma Clarkowski on March 27th, 2017 8:19 pm

This article was very informative. I liked how she stated many times and things that students have done throughout the winter. The links also provide a more variety of information on the places the story is talking about. Overall well written.

8. Josh Bauer on March 28th, 2017 8:55 am

This article had a great introduction. It also held a lot of great facts about winter activities. There was a good local connection to the high school itself.

9. Olivia Knox on March 28th, 2017 6:26 pm

I really liked how you included the different prices of the different activities. Also I enjoyed how you described the different visual aesthetics of each place like the decorations.

• Winter activities leave no room for boredom

Locker Room

Thole twins headed for success in gymnastics, wrestling

People

O’Neal strives for future dermatology career

Photo Slide Shows

Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Photo Slide Shows

Lacrosse team among best in conference

People

Alumnus McDonough encourages students to become involved

Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds

People

History behind local family restaurant, community favorite

Hockey Day glides into Stillwater

Focus

Bill Howlett: remembering the smile that brought everyone together

Photo Slide Shows

Boys basketball starts off behind, looking to improve