Trump’s cabinet reamains controversial among Americans

January 5, 2017

Over the past few weeks President Elect Donald Trump has been deciding over different candidates to add to his presidential cabinet. The cabinet’s purpose is to assist the President with his duties in office, also helping the United States function and prosper as a nation, and Trump should be choosing candidates that are qualified for their positions, and not just because they helped his campaign or are in the top 1 percent.

Most of the controversy revolving around Trump’s candidates for his cabinet, has the left side worried about the future of our country. Mainly because of his Chief Strategist Steve Bannon. Other possibilities for cabinet positions, that have raised worries, consist of Dr. Ben Carson, Steve Mnuchin, Betsy DeVos, Linda McMahon, Scott Pruitt, Jeff Sessions and many others.

According to the Alan Rappeport and the New York Times, “The appointment of Stephen K. Bannon as chief White House strategist for President-elect Donald J. Trump has been condemned by civil rights groups, Democrats and some Republicans, because of Mr. Bannon’s record as chairman of Breitbart News, the hard-right news and opinion site.”

Steve Bannon, recently named Chief Strategist for Trump’s administration, is one of many red flags among Trump’s cabinet. For starters, he runs a far right newspaper, called “Breitbart News”, which has been known for writing, white supremacist, sexist and racist articles. Another questionable choice by Trump is Steve Mnuchin for the position of Treasury Secretary, which overlooks the IRS, and has the ability to rewrite the tax code if needed. Mnuchin, former Goldman Sachs executive, with little to no experience in politics. Goldman Sachs, his former place of work, is an investment banking corporation, and one of the few companies to profit off of the recession in 2008, which was by far the largest recession since the Great Depression.

The appointment of Stephen K. Bannon as chief White House strategist for President-elect Donald J. Trump has been condemned by civil rights groups, Democrats and some Republicans, because of Mr. Bannon’s record as chairman of Breitbart News, the hard-right news and opinion site.”

— Alan Rappeport

“For the Education Secretary, Trump is considering someone who is a creationist, who doesn’t believe in evolution, which isn’t very smart,” senior Joe Weber said.

Trump has also nominated Betsy DeVos for Education Secretary, known billionaire, and strong supporter of private schools, which can be very expensive and not affordable by the mass public. Linda McMahon has been named Small Business Administrator, which helps small businesses gain loans, and get contacts within the government. McMahon was most recently the CEO of the WWE for 29 years, until she ran for two state senate races, one in 2010 and one in 2012, where she lost both of them.

“Trump has appointed very insufficient people for his administration, like Ben Carson, who he appointed for the Secretary of Housing, even though he’s a doctor and has no experience with public housing whatsoever,” Weber said.

Some of the more confusing choices for Trump’s cabinet include Scott Pruitt and Dr. Ben Carson. Scott Pruitt was nominated for the position of E.P.A Administrator, which advocates for the protection of our environment, even though Pruitt has close relationships with the fossil fuel industry, which clearly does the opposite of protecting the environment. Also Dr. Ben Carson, former presidential candidate and neurosurgeon, most would think he would be in the running for the position of Health and Human Services Secretary, but he’s actually nominated for the position of Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, for some unknown reason.

Trump’s administration will be like nothing anybody has seen before, whether or not that is a good thing is yet to be determined. Also maybe electing some of the top 1 percent is truly the way to connect and help the majority of the population that are not billionaires. However we should allow president elect Trump to govern how he sees fit, because it is his right as president to do so.

3 Responses to “Trump’s cabinet reamains controversial among Americans”

1. Olivia Knox on January 30th, 2017 9:28 am

The use of quotes from well known political figures really added a great perspective to the story. Very well written and detailed.

2. Adam Humpal on February 8th, 2017 4:57 pm

I thought it was very compelling how the author wasn’t forcing his opinion, but instead allowing the facts to speak for themselves. This made a very persuasive article, and the conclusion had a very different message than the article, but it was valid none the less.

3. Ben Wicklund on February 10th, 2017 7:50 am

Good blend into opinion in the first paragraph. Some punctuation errors but overall good presentation of facts and quotes surrounding the issue.