Filed under Arts, Music Scene

The Weekend becomes ‘Starboy’ with album topping charts

Infographic by Kaitlyn Launderville

Canadian R&B singer ,The Weeknd, blows up the charts on the Billboard 200 with his new album Starboy landing himself at No. 1 within a week. Starboy is the third largest debut of 2016 behind Drake’s Views and Beyonce’s Lemonade

The Weeknd was born Toronto, Canada and raised in Scarborough. The Weeknd is an only child and dropped out of schools at 17. In 2010, The Weeknd uploaded 3 songs to his YouTube channel. The songs, “What You Need”, “Loft Music” and “The Morning”. The Weeknd was unknown at the time but that was soon to change. Eventually the songs had gotten major attention, Drake had also helped spread the word and supported him. In 2015, The Weeknd had dropped the album Beauty Behind The Madness. This album ended up being a huge successful hit and was the second largest debut of 2015 and had also taken the No. 1 spot on the charts.

I have been listening to The Weeknd for years and honestly I didn’t think that he could top his last album…”

— Morgan Reinholdson

“I have been listening to The Weeknd for years and honestly I didn’t think that he could top his last album. I was just amazed when I had heard his new album Starboy, junior Morgan Reinholdson said. “I was truly impressed.”

Overall his album has gotten great reviews and The Weeknd is well on his way to success. With 175.2 million streams in a week to 209k albums sold Starboy is the third largest debut of 2016. The Weeknd is truly a Starboy.

“I was never really a fan of The Weeknd until I had heard his new album and it was truly good. My favorite song was probably ‘Starboy’ or ‘All I Know’ featuring Future,” sophomore Brittany Stanger said.

Even though The Weeknd’s album had gotten positive reviews and support, some still have different views of the album. Many are just upset about how the soundtrack sounds overall, not just him.

“In all honestly I am not a fan of The Weeknd. I listened to the album and figured it just wasn’t for me. The song ‘Sidewalks’ featuring Kendrick Lamar just sounded way to0 auto-tuned in my opinion. But don’t get me wrong, I can totally see why it got such great reviews too there was some fun upbeat songs,” junior Tori Ly said.

It is recommend by people all over to give his album a listen. This album has gotten overall great reviews and will sure be worth the listen.

4 Responses to “The Weekend becomes ‘Starboy’ with album topping charts”

1. Ryan Shepard on February 7th, 2017 6:31 pm

I like how you gave a background of the Weeknd and where he was born and all that. You also compared the Starboy album to other people’s albums which added further depth.

2. Ebbie Benson on February 9th, 2017 9:34 pm

The name in title is spelled wrong, but the article had good background information and shows how he has risen to the top of the charts in a short amount of time. The quotes are strong and show how popular he is with high school students.

3. Maya Aflakpi on February 9th, 2017 10:55 pm

This article was very well written and gave us a lot of information about The Weeknd. It was good how you gave both positive and negative opinions on the album Starboy and it wasn’t just one-sided. Overall it was a very well written article!

4. Jared Dean on February 10th, 2017 11:29 am

Well written article, I liked how you gave specific stats on the album and it’s sales/streams. It shows that your article was very well researched.

• The Weekend becomes ‘Starboy’ with album topping charts

‘A Cure for Wellness’ receives mixed reviews

Live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ box office hit

Black Dog Cafe offers diversity of local artist, great food

Classic Disney films transcend time

‘Hidden figures’ brings untold true story to life

“La La Land” earns record number of accolades

Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds

Drake rebrands himself

‘Everything you want me to be’ inspired by Minnesota locations

‘Hamilton’ mixtape features modern singers