Transition team considers Pony Time study block next fall

Linnea Phillips, Hannah Boardman, Elise Luoma

The school administration is considering a 45 minute flexible period in the middle of the day on Wednesdays during five day weeks. This is a decision the transition team will have to make for next year.

There is PLC Wednesday occurring now, which happens every Wednesday and is a 15 minute late start that allows teachers to have meetings with other staff members. The transition team is thinking about changing that to a 45 minute period gap in between periods three and four on Wednesdays during five day weeks. Students have stress and this gap will allow them to relieve some of it.

This open period of time will allow students to have time to catch up on homework and not have as much during school nights. It is considered a study time for the student, and a learning period for the incoming ninth and tenth graders. It will be 50 percent personalized planning and the other 50 percent flex time.

I think that would be very beneficial because it would serve as a study hall for students to catch up on classes and get homework done being that students live a busy life, they don’t have time to do every single sheet of homework at home.

— Andria Hanson

Counselor Sandra Weaver said, “Ninth and tenth graders will work on college and career planning activities with some time to get help from teachers. Juniors and seniors will also have some activities related to college and career planning but will have more flex time built into their pony time schedule.”

There will be five minute passing time during these Wednesdays which won’t be that hard considering that is what the Wednesdays look like now. On weeks that are not five days, there will be an early release on Wednesdays.

Junior Andria Hanson said, “I think that would be very beneficial because it would serve as a study hall for students to catch up on classes and get homework done being that students live a busy life, they don’t have time to do every single sheet of homework at home.”

There will also be four lunch periods instead of three next year. Currently, the lunch times are 30 minutes each. There will not be open campus next year, so leaving during pony time will not be allowed.

Senior Noah Jakupciak said, “I think it would just be a time that kids would sit on their phones and wouldn’t really get work done.”

This gap will benefit the students in many ways. Counselor Sandra Weaver added, “We often hear that students do not have enough time to meet with teachers and get extra help, so that will also be a part of pony time. Additionally it will be a time to develop strong relationships with staff and peers.”