Strong start for wrestling team

Bella Anderson, Social Media Editor

Photo courtesy of Stillwater Area Wrestling- "Young Captain" Sophomore captain Will Harter with a big victory last season against Wayzata. This dual was to determine who went to the section finals. "When its a big match like that one, its hard to do well because you're constantly nervous and you're not thinking right, I guess the secret to dealing with the pressure is just trying to stay calm" sophomore captain Will Harter says.

Stillwater wrestling has started their season out strong with wins against Woodbury, East Ridge and Minnetonka. It is expected to be another great year for the Ponies with a very good possibility of making it to state. There are a lot of new players as well as many older and more experienced players, making it a well rounded team.

This years captains are seniors Peter Hagel, James Huntley, Conner Weiss, and sophomore Will Harter. They have worked very hard to be given this position with many successful matches and years of wrestling.

Wresting is extremely complicated with many rules and restrictions. During each match there are eight different ways to gain points: takedown, escape, reversal, near fall, penalty points and caution points.  They are then interpreted into team points. In a team meet there are eight different ways points are rewarded: pin fall, technical fall, major decision, regular decision, draw or tie and disqualification.

There are 14 different weight classes ranging from 106 to 285. Each class has multiple players in it and for each match one person from the weight class is chosen to go against someone in the same class on the opposing team.

Weight classes can be a big problem for many athletes.  Senior Jackson Dunleap is a student struggling with this problem.

Dunleap said, “This season is off to a challenging start for me. I am 163 pounds and I’m going up against people who weigh 182 pounds. I am doing it because the coaches want me to fill the spot, but in order to do that, I had to wrestle two guys who weighed that much, it was a hard fight but I ended up winning.”

The Woodbury meet was  intense due to the fact that they are one of Stillwater’s biggest competitors because of their good players and they were defeated by us last year. The Ponies were able to pull through with a score of 36 to 33.

Rich Keller is Stillwater’s new coach this year. Junior Jared Christian who has been wrestling for 5 years said, “He is helping out a lot this season.”

At the East Ridge meet the Ponies prevailed with another victory 59 to 12. Even with all of these victories Christian said, “There is always something to work on.”

There are a lot of great wrestlers on our squad, the new ones that were added are Javon Taschuk and Reid Ballantyne they are both dominating in their weight class.”

— Jackson Dunleap

This season there are a lot of new guys on the team as well as some older more experienced players. Dunleap said, “There are a lot of great wrestlers on our squad, the new ones that were added are Javon Taschuk and Reid Ballantyne they are both dominating in their weight class.”

The Ponies also took on Minnetonka and dominated once again 45 to 17. In this meet pins were by Trey Kruse, Jared Christian, Porter Estenson, Conner Weiss and Jackson Dunleap who had two pins.

There is a large possibility that the Ponies will be going to state this year.

Dunleap said, “As a team I think we have a great team to go to state and perform really well, we have some very good and ranked guys that don’t like to give up.”

So far this season the Ponies are 3-0 and things are looking good for the rest of the season with a start like this. Stillwater has not won state since 2009, but hopefully that will change this year. There is also a chance for the team to win conference champs, but the Ponies have a very full schedule ahead of them and hopefully with a lot more wins.

15 Responses to “Strong start for wrestling team”

1. Thomas Johnson on January 13th, 2017 2:05 pm

There was amazing research behind this article through the different weight classes, and the past wrestling match results. In addition, the optimism for this year was clearly illustrated in the article.

2. Andrew Wilcek on January 17th, 2017 9:43 pm

Very informative about the team as a whole and really just how grueling it is. I didn’t know the captains of the team or really the rules system and points. Great research behind this article.

3. Rustam R on January 18th, 2017 11:03 am

Really well written story. I like how it gives a good perspective of wrestling and how hard it actually is. There is some incorrect information but other then that very well written story.

4. Jesse Zelaya on January 19th, 2017 10:16 am

I really enjoyed the information given. The article explains Stillwater’s main opponents and even explains the sport of wrestling. Quotes are good too, coming from both athletes and the coach.

5. Ciana Fragnito on February 1st, 2017 10:47 am

Great article. The interviews were great and added a lot to the story to further explain the lead and nutgraph. This article really captures wrestling as a whole and depicts the entire sport for people who may not know much about it.

6. Ashlyn Aarness on February 4th, 2017 1:46 pm

This story is very informative about the team. The information given is very helpful. The interviews were very detailed and helped move the story. The end of the story is a nice recap and puts all the information together. Good work!

7. Allison Heintz on February 6th, 2017 10:58 am

This story contains a lot of information about the team as a whole and their great work they have done together so far. It’s really well written and the quotes from the students being interviewed are really good feedback for the team. I also like the conclusion and how it sums out the story so well.

8. Max Korth on February 7th, 2017 7:14 pm

Well written and gave a lot of information about this team, one that many people probably don’t know the talent on this years team. A lot of good research went into this article, and it showed, also many quality quotes that really tied the story together.

9. Olivia Weirtz on February 8th, 2017 7:16 pm

You seem to have a very good grasp on wrestling as a sport, which shows though in the article. This helps you explain details to the reader.

10. Ryan Berg on February 9th, 2017 4:48 pm

This story gives a lot of good information about the sport and team. It gave a great explanation for people who don’t know much about wrestling. Very well reasearched.

11. McKenzie Bohlig on February 9th, 2017 8:09 pm

You did a good job of summarizing a complicated sport without it being boring. This article pulls the reader’s attention and holds their interest. Wrestling isn’t as talked about in school as Hockey, soccer or football so this article does a good job of informing people about how well the team is doing.

12. Hailey Buelow on February 9th, 2017 9:31 pm

this article was very well written and had a lot of good facts about the team and you can tell they did their research and really ended up knowing a lot about it .

13. Gideon Bimpey on February 10th, 2017 8:18 am

I was automatically drawn in by Will’s quote in the beggining of the story. I liked the link of the Stillwater rules for wrestling because it informs the reader of what they are. Impactful story overall.

14. Jared Dean on February 10th, 2017 11:35 am

I really enjoyed reading this article. It was clear that research had been done because of your background information given about the sport. The quotes that were selected were strong and matched up well with the rest of the story.

15. Gabe Wagner on February 13th, 2017 12:47 pm

Story was well writen and included good information including schedule, past matches, captains, and coaches. Also provided rules of sport to help educate the reader.

• Strong start for wrestling team

People

Advanced sophomores graduate early

• Strong start for wrestling team

Photo Slide Shows

Girls lacrosse looking to replicate last season

• Strong start for wrestling team

Big fun at Big Thrill Factory

• Strong start for wrestling team

Locker Room

Parker Anderson masters golf

• Strong start for wrestling team

Activities

Young life gains popularity

• Strong start for wrestling team

Photo Slide Shows

Boys tennis team serving up high expectations

• Strong start for wrestling team

Sixth graders suit up for ‘The Lion King’

• Strong start for wrestling team

Focus

Photojournalism: vital form of news

• Strong start for wrestling team

Photo Slide Shows

Mattson, Constant begin makeup account

• Strong start for wrestling team

Focus

Journalism turns a new page

Strong start for wrestling team