Filed under Arts, Book Reviews

‘Everything you want me to be’ inspired by Minnesota locations

The new mystery novel Everything You Want Me To Be by Mindy Mejia will be officially released Jan. 3. The book has received mostly positive reviews so far as it is averaging about 3.5-4 out of 5 stars. The author Mindy Mejia is a Minnesota-born author and most of her other books take place in Minnesota.

The book Everything You Want Me To Be takes place in southern Minnesota and is about a high school senior Hattie Hoffman who was found stabbed to death on the night of her school play. Local sheriff and family friend Del Goodman vows to find the murderer, but trying to solve the murder yields more questions than answers. The story is told from three points of view: Del, Hattie and the new English teacher. They run through the last year of Hattie’s life to figure out who the murderer is.

The beginning of the book really draws the reader in as the author tells the reader about Hattie, a talented actress who has dreams of moving out to New York City just after she graduates high school. She doesn’t know many people and doesn’t have a lot of money, but she has the drive and attitude to get herself there, even though her family and friends have no idea why she wants to leave. As her high school career is coming to an end, she gets her big break starring as Lady Macbeth in her school’s performance. This is the first time where the people in her town start to believe in her dream.

Another strength of this book is that unlike some mystery novels it does a good job at keeping the mystery of who Hattie’s killer is.

One major complaint is that the book ends kind of abruptly and doesn’t give details to who killed Hattie, which has frustrated some readers.

“I think it’s hard to talk about any weaknesses of the book without giving any spoilers, so I’ll just say that I wish the ending was a little more drawn out and that we got more details,” Hinchcliffe said.

Another minor weakness for the book is that the author Mindy Mejia is a relative unknown as this is only her second book. So even if the book is getting good reviews it probably won’t get the national attention it deserves. But this gives her a chance to build a fanbase and help get her name out there.

“I didn’t have any prior knowledge of Mindy Mejia before reading this book, but that is partially because of the fact that she is a relatively new author. She only has one other book, which is called The Dragon Keeper, but I hope to read many more books of hers in the future,” Hinchcliffe said.

This is a good book that keeps readers on the edge of their seats and makes them not want to put the book down. This book is a must read for mystery fans and anyone looking for a good read.

4 Responses to “‘Everything you want me to be’ inspired by Minnesota locations”

1. Ryan Shepard on February 7th, 2017 6:26 pm

I like how you showed the ratings that other websites gave the novel. The pros are interesting and so are the cons because they give deeper analysis. The interview with the Hinchcliffe goes even deeper and shows readers of this how the book goes.

2. Anthony Alvarado on February 9th, 2017 10:47 am

I like how you critiqued it a little with the cons you included. I also liked that fact that you included that nobody really believed in her, because that’s a major part of the book. It is inspiring that when nobody believed in her, she still made an impact and I appreciated how you involved that.

3. Emma Clarkowski on February 9th, 2017 8:46 pm

I liked how many the book chosen to review took place in Minnesota. It was nice to see a book review because we dont really write many of these. The way that the author talks about the book confirms that the author knew what he was reviewing. The review of this provokes the reader to read the book! Very well written and very informative.

4. Nicholas Gag on February 10th, 2017 7:21 am

I really like you give the positive side and the negative side of the book which I liked because I can get an honest opinion on the book and make up my mind on whether or not I want to read it.

• ‘Everything you want me to be’ inspired by Minnesota locations

‘A Cure for Wellness’ receives mixed reviews

Live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ box office hit

Black Dog Cafe offers diversity of local artist, great food

Classic Disney films transcend time

‘Hidden figures’ brings untold true story to life

“La La Land” earns record number of accolades

Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds

Drake rebrands himself

The Weekend becomes ‘Starboy’ with album topping charts

‘Hamilton’ mixtape features modern singers