School start times take toll on mental health

Owen Landrud

Early morning and late, homework-filled nights. This is the life of a typical high school student. More and more schools are switching over to a later start time to increase productivity. Thought Exchange is changing the game for our district.

Stillwater School District has had this discussion for many years, and it has the tendency to always be shut down. Switching around times makes it difficult for other after-school activities to have time too. Thought Exchange is a way for locals, staff, and students to get their voices heard.

Superintendent Denise Pontrelli said, “The school board had decided to wait until next year to engage in this study.”

Kids today face a widespread problem: sleep deprivation. Things that interfere with this are school, after-school activities and jobs. When they go to bed late and have to wake up early for school, their body clock is saying it is still the middle of the night.  

School board member, George Hoeppner said, “The CAREI Institute at the University of Minnesota has done the most quoted research on this topic. Using data from Edina and, most recently, in the Minneapolis schools…it centers on academic improvement as well as other areas such as fewer traffic accidents with high school age students.”  

In 1996, Edina School District was the first in the U.S. to move to a later start time. They used the University of Minnesota research based on sleep phases for teens.  

Students are having overwhelmingly positive feedback to the change in times. Schools that start after 8 a.m have over 50 percent of their students sleep more than eight hours a night. Junior Sophie Vogel explained, “A pro to starting later in the day is that kids will be less tired, and be able to focus more. A con is that the school will end later in the day.”

Infographic by Ashlyn Aarness

The feedback received on this topic is hard to pinpoint. A lot of people within the school district differ in their thoughts. The new program Thought Exchange is a way for the community to share their thoughts and opinions.

Hoeppner explained, “The feedback I’ve received has been mixed. When the main talking point is the start times for elementary students, the feedback turns quickly negative. On the positive side, parents and some students not involved in after school activities seem positive about the later start times.”

School Board member Kathy Buchholz said, “[The possibility that school start times may change] this topic has not been formally brought to the school board.”

The number of people involved has grown to over 3,000 as the online conversation continues, more people are sharing their likes and dislikes within the district.  

Hoeppner said, “Perhaps the current discussion, being coordinated by Aaron Drevlow, will get a bit more traction.”  

• G

Gabe WagnerFeb 13, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Good story with good quotes and perspectives from students and their opinions on the issue. Did a good job taking both sides into consideration.

Reply
  • K

Kaitlyn LaundervilleFeb 10, 2017 at 8:05 am

I really liked this article, it had strong facts and it really informed you about the topic. It also had some good quotes.

Reply
  • H

Hunter HippelFeb 6, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Good article. The quotes were really good and featured a good perspective from students.

Reply
  • J

Jesse ZelayaJan 19, 2017 at 8:36 am

This article is written well. The quotes come from students who can first hand tell you their experiences on stress level and their opinions on how early or late school should start. It gives multiple views on the issue.

Reply
  • K

Kaitlyn LaundervilleJan 18, 2017 at 7:39 pm

This article is very well written and very well thought/laid out. I really liked how the infographic was easy and neat to understand and see. The quotes in this article were also very strong and well developed into the article.

Reply
  • M

Maya AflakpiJan 18, 2017 at 12:32 pm

I like how the main idea was to find a solution to this issue. In this story you could really tell they had done a lot of research. Overall it was very well written and informative on menta health issues.

Reply
  • M

McKenzie BohligJan 18, 2017 at 11:11 am

The infographic is very well done and clean. All of the facts are very informative and concise. You did a good job showing both sides to the argument.

Reply
  • N

Nicholas GagJan 18, 2017 at 10:30 am

This is a very solid article. You took both sides of the argument and your quotes were also great.

Reply
  • C

Carl BohacekJan 18, 2017 at 10:11 am

Good lead, careful not to contradict yourself. Good idea to interview school board members, and cite studies. I liked how you combined the discussion on Thought Exchange into the article.

Reply
  • O

Olivia KnoxJan 18, 2017 at 8:16 am

This article shows real facts on what happens to students and proves your stand point.

Reply
  • V

Valerie SilbernickJan 17, 2017 at 10:56 pm

Well written and really pulls readers in with its relevance. Very informative and shows good research. Good use of both sides of the story; the good and the bad. Very informative quotes as well.

Reply
  • K

Kalley LewisJan 17, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Very well written. It kept me interested the entire time. I think this was an important story because a majority of students can relate to this issue. It provides a lot on information without being too long of a read.

Reply
  • E

Emma ClarkowskiJan 17, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Wonderful article. I think it was great to have an article that many teens can relate to. I liked hearing the pros and cons throughout the article. Learning more statistics throughout the article was very informative and provided more insight on the topic.

Reply
  • M

Mariah MarsnikJan 17, 2017 at 8:47 pm

I liked how you discussed both positive and negative impacts that later start times might cause. This article is informative and has a strong lead. I like the facts you included in the article. I wasn’t aware that 50 percent of students slept 8 hours or more a night who go to schools that start after 8 a.m. until I read this article.

Reply
  • O

OliviaJan 17, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Good interviews with people who are pivotal in this issue and understand a lot about it. Also, good knowledge of other school districts, like Edina piloting the idea.

Reply
  • K

Kayla GjerdeJan 17, 2017 at 2:45 pm

A lot of good information in here. The people you quoted know a lot about this and are great sources.

Reply
  • H

Hannah BoardmanJan 3, 2017 at 6:59 pm

This article is laid out very well. There is a lot of information, yet it’s not confusing or hard to read. The people that were interviewed were very informed on their subject and had great quotes. This is a very interesting subject and it was covered very well.

Reply
  • C

Ciana FragnitoJan 3, 2017 at 8:15 am

The facts in the story are very informative and fit well to give the reader information they likely did not know before. The interviews weee conducted with very strong resources providing a very thorough story.

Reply
  • H

Hailey LaubscherJan 2, 2017 at 9:49 am

I really liked how the article was focused on how the issue could really be solved and included a lot of facts and not just students’ opinions. I have always been interested in whether or not Stillwater will adjust it’s school times, so this article caught my attention. Also, the lead is very well written and is a great way to get readers interested in the article.

Reply
  • B

becca jordanDec 19, 2016 at 12:47 pm

I thought the whole article sounded every professional and was very well written! i loved the topic because i feel as if it is a very revenant issue.

Reply
  • H

Hannah LarsonDec 9, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Its great that you brought this to everyone attention and that you got the superintendent to realize that many students do need later start times.

Reply