Yoga centers on students’ health

Lauren Newman, Student Playlist Editor

yoga-article
Infographic by Lauren Newman

Yoga is central to the religions of Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism and Jainism. Now, it has become central to many Americans’ daily physical exercise. Twenty One million adults in the US practice yoga according to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. That has been a significant increase from 2007.  About 1.7 million children practice yoga. Not only do people use yoga to exercise their body, but also to exercise their brains.

I don’t know what I would do without it.

— Lexi Monson

Junior Alex Englen does yoga about once every two months. “I do yoga so I can touch my toes,” Englen said, “It also helps me stay flexible while running marathons.”

Many of Englen’s cross country friends use yoga to help keep their leg muscles from not stiffing up during a 5k.

The top five reasons people do yoga is 61 percent  flexibility, 56 percent stress relief, 49 percent general fitness, 49 percent to improve overall health and 44 percent for physical fitness according to a 2016 Yoga in America Study.

Junior Lexi Monson participates in yoga three times a month. She uses it to decrease her anxiety and to decrease her stress.

“In yoga, I really feel like myself,” Monson said.” Without it, I would be this big ball of stress waiting to explode.” She has also used Yoga to stay fit for the summer.

The Mayo Clinic suggests yoga as a way for adults to reduce stress, anxiety and a way to manage chronic conditions. The core components of yoga is poses, breathing and meditation.

Sophomore Peyton Classon does yoga two times a week. She has been practicing yoga for about a year with her mom. They both use it to stay flexible. Classon swims on the high school swim team.

“I’ve seen a definite difference in my times since I started yoga,” said Classon.

Yoga is seen as a way to not only help you physically but mentally.

“I don’t know what I would do without it,” Monson said.