Cat Clements influences comment with political involvement

November 10, 2016

As the final election debate comes to an end, many individual’s political views and thoughts increase greatly. When thinking of a politically involved person, the image of a high school student doesn’t pop into the mind, but for many students, Cat Clements is a junior very politically involved student is the first person others think of.

Clements is 16 years old  and known for her strong political views by many. She is involved in the Young Democrats at school, Phone bank for Planned Parenthood as well as for Hillary Clinton, Door knocking for Alan Kantrud, donates to the human rights campaign, organizes debate viewing parties, sign many petitions and she writes letters to the editors.

Clements plays a big role in the Young Democrats as a Vice President, and next years president, friend junior Maya Yokanovich. Along with this year’s president Corri Gardner a senior.

“Considering how hard Cat has worked as a vice president, I believe that she will make a wonderful co-president next school year,” Gardner said. “We’re super pumped, we have a lot we want to do, like keep the conversations going past the elections,” Yokanovich explained.

really respect the progressive morals that the party embodies. It all comes down to equality, love acceptance and I think that’s what Democrats strive to spread.

— Cat Clements

Both Yokanovich and Gardner have wonderful things to say about Clement’s political involvement and how she acts doing what she loves.

“She’s such an intelligent young woman. She’s really friendly to the people on the phone and at the doors and she’s super knowledgeable about everything,” Yokanovich said.

“Cat is always very organized and prepared, which has helped get our club to where we are,” Gardner said.

Clements started her own political thoughts and views in junior high, but it was not until high school when she involved herself within and out of school activities.

“I think our generation has a really unique and important perspective on the world that should be shared and celebrated,” Clements said.

Clements just like anyone else also has a reason for why she started being so politically involved.

“When Obama first ran in 2008 there was a lot of discussion at my house, mom is a Democrat and dad is a Republican, so I started forming my own opinions throughout junior high,” Clements stated.

She also hopes for Hillary Clinton to win this year’s election and is a very strong Democrat with many points on why.

“I really respect the progressive morals that the party embodies. It all comes down to equality, love acceptance and I think that’s what Democrats strive to spread,” Clements explained. “I’ll always be very passionate about politics,” she added.

“Cat always follows through with her commitments and is constantly working to better our group and community as a whole,” Gardner said. Clement’s political involvement has made a great impact on those around her and involved in the same activities.