The Shire opened in June and since then has grown to involve more students and teachers from the community. “This is a place for people who love to write creatively and story tell to come and take classes that will enrich them in their skill set with story telling and writing. It’s both nurturing writing skills and connecting writers with each other, mentors and authors to help them develop their craft,” Stephani Atkins says. (Megan McGuire)
The Shire opened in June and since then has grown to involve more students and teachers from the community. “This is a place for people who love to write creatively and story tell to come and take classes that will enrich them in their skill set with story telling and writing. It’s both nurturing writing skills and connecting writers with each other, mentors and authors to help them develop their craft,” Stephani Atkins says.

Megan McGuire

Shire Literary Center encourages more writing among teens

November 12, 2016

If you are ready to take your writing to the next level, then you should look into the Shire Literary center. The Center is a helpful learning center for kids in 6-12 grade. The Shire Literary Center helps kids learn more deeply into the arts and also with many other topics too.

Established during the summer of 2015, the Shire Literary Center first began as an alternative option for middle school students in the classrooms of ArtReach St. Croix in order to expand their creative writing. As the program expanded and became more popular, it expanded to accommodate for high school students to improve their creative writing. They now use space at the Stillwater Public Library in order to achieve their goal of expanding students’ education.

There are many different ways for the students to learn more. There are many different teachers who are willing to help the students to expand their desires to learn more about writing and other topics that the students wish to learn. There are a variety of clubs and resources to help students learn more about writing.

“The Shire is an avenue for creative writers because we do less creative writing now and more analytical and journalistic writing, so students who have an interest in being a creative writer, poetry, memoir, essay and fiction can connect with other writers in the community,” teacher Kim Thompson said.

The Shire is an avenue for creative writers because we do less creative writing now and more analytical and journalistic writing, so students who have an interest in being a creative writer, poetry, memoir, essay and fiction can connect with other writers in the community.

— Kim Thompson

The Shire Literary Center has a diverse amount of students in the classes. There are many different students and educators willing to help with the different clubs and guidelines. The Shire Literary Center has a wide variety of options for the students to take classes and clubs. Many different types of students come into the classes, yet all are looking for the same encouragement in writing.

“There’s a pretty big variety of people at the Shire, which is really awesome. Everyone is super friendly and fun to work with. We’re all interested in so many diverse things, but the one thing that ties us all together is writing,” junior Erika Nahkala said.

The Shire Literary Center is recommended for students who are looking for self inspired expansion of their learning outside of class. The people there have been encouraging students to challenge themselves in their writing and also with their relationships with other students too.

“I’m always pushing the Shire especially on students and parents who are wondering what else their kids can do,” Thompson said.

The Shire Literary Center provides advantageous tips for writing through an accessible network of community resources. The Shire Literary Center has provided multiple solutions for young writers to gain more knowledge.