The iconic Commander building that Tin Bins is located in. The original tower was built in 1898 and is one of Stillwater most iconic buildings. “It makes the space really interesting and I think it’s utilized very well! The unique location, history and space combine to make it a staple in our community” Cat Clements says. (Payton Filipiak)
The iconic Commander building that Tin Bins is located in. The original tower was built in 1898 and is one of Stillwater most iconic buildings. “It makes the space really interesting and I think it’s utilized very well! The unique location, history and space combine to make it a staple in our community” Cat Clements says.

Payton Filipiak

Coffee shops battle for best ‘study spot’

November 6, 2016

Nothing goes together better than long nights of studying and a cup of hot coffee or cocoa. That combination can be found frequently at the many coffee shops in Stillwater. Coffee shops have become an increasingly popular place for students to study, both alone and in groups. Three of the most popular spots in town to study at are Caribou Coffee, Tin Bins and Chilkoot Cafe.

These three coffee shops are popular with students for many different reasons. Tin Bins is known for being in the iconic Commander Building in the heart of downtown Stillwater. They offer live music on the weekends and a large menu for breakfast, lunch or a light dinner.  A little further off the beaten path is Chilkoot Cafe, known for its great food and unique atmosphere. Chilkoot has has hearty options for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with an artisan touch.  Lastly, Minnesota’s own Caribou Coffee is always a crowd favorite with a standard coffee shop drink menu and a bakery case for quick bite to eat.  Caribou has an easy to get to location and is also close in proximity to Stillwater Area High School.

There is a really cool balance of vibrancy and community (at Tin Bins)…and besides the amazing coffee and food, there’s a plethora of exciting music and people.

— Cat Clements

“There is a really cool balance of vibrancy and community (at Tin Bins)…and besides the amazing coffee and food, there’s a plethora of exciting music and people.” said junior Cat Clements.

Tin Bins’ location in scenic downtown Stillwater makes it the perfect spot to work when you need some inspiration for a creative project or want to experience the culture of a vibrant music and art community. Small groups will have plenty of room to spread out and discuss their work. The menu is varied enough to fit many different tastes and hearty enough to keep you focused on your work. If you’re looking for a fun, energetic atmosphere, Tin Bins is the place to go.

“Chilkoot is very peaceful and since it’s more of a local shop it’s usually not as busy which provides for a more serene environment ” says junior Kinsey Weyer.   

Nestled into a quieter part of town is Chilkoot Cafe and Cyclery, located in the South Hill neighborhood on 4th Street. Chilkoot is a coffee shop and cycle shop with a unique menu. The pace is slower than other coffee shops, which makes perfect to take your time, unwind and get immersed in your studies. The space is small and cozy, with a home-like feel. It is a quiet place to get together with a friend or immerse yourself if a good book.  If you like hearty meal and homey feel on a quiet street, check out Chilkoot Cafe.

Caribou Coffee is the most convenient option for Stillwater High School students. The Stillwater MarketPlace location is closest to the high school which makes it a go-to destination for after school studying.  Caribou is also the least expensive of the three and typically has the quickest service. This makes it a good spot for students with a tight budget that are just looking for hot beverage and maybe a quick bakery item to go with it.  Caribou also offers familiarity due to their many locations across the Midwest. The space is open, inviting and has a comfortable Northwoods feeling.  One can often find a mixture of groups and individuals working quietly inside of Caribou Coffee.

“The workers are friendly and I prefer their drinks over other coffee shops nearby. It’s also only a mile from the high school, making it a super convenient place to get work done.” said senior Maddi Hafner.

So the next time you are needing a caffeine fix and have some homework to do, stop in to one of the many coffee shops in Stillwater.  Chances are good you will run into some classmates there.

View Comments(1)

• C

Craig SanisloDec 15, 2016 at 8:31 am

I liked howling the article was. Sometimes people write really short articles that don’t accurately capture the whole story, but Payton wrote an in depth article full of good ideas and quotes. Also, I did not notice any glaring spelling errors or typos so that’s always good.

Reply
1