Filed under EIC Column

U.S. Military in need of more troops

The U.S. army is currently at risk of being too small to secure the nation in the near future. Right now the United States has the second largest military in the world behind China. With the declining defense budgets all military services have been suffering.

According to dailyrecord.com the United States has a population of 324 million, with only 1.5 million in the military, that is less than one half of a percent. While the military has been cut down in size more generals have been being appointed. With each general and their individual staff comes an estimated cost of $1 million. During World War II the United States had fewer generals than this and they were still able to overthrow Germany and Japan successfully. Now with more generals being added to the military it is causing the United States to no longer feared by many nations.

To increase the total number of military staff the army has been trying to recruit students straight out of school. The promise of low college tuition appeals to the younger generation who are ready for college. The military guarantees valuable skills such as leadership, military training, and discipline.

“We are out ranged and out gunned.”

— Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster

Budget cuts are the main reason the military has been drastically reducing. Less than 16 percent of the national budget is being put towards defense. It has been said that by 2017 the army will have reduced to 450,000 and right now the United States military is smaller than it was before World War II. Military rankings are supposed to be a pyramid-like arrangement, with privates on the bottom and generals on the top. It has become a very top-heavy structure.

General Mark Milley believes that Russia will soon have more advanced weapons with better range and improved technology, such as drones and explosives. With the upcoming election in deciding who will be the United States next president and commander in chief, military experts believe Vladimir Putin, who is the Prime Minister of Russia will take advantage of the new president and launch an attack on the eastern European countries.

“We are out ranged and out gunned,” Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster said to breakingdefense.com

The United States needs to invest more in their military if they want to continue to be on top. The national budget has been slowing decreasing and if the United States wants to be prepared for surprise attacks they need it to drastically increase, instead of having it slowing depreciate each year.

3 Responses to “U.S. Military in need of more troops”

1. Elise Luoma on February 27th, 2017 11:51 am

This article is extremely informative due to the solid facts and quotes. I like how there are specific statistics. The angle is strong and this topic has an important influence on the United States, and other countries.

2. Anthony Alvarado on March 19th, 2017 5:58 pm

I thought this was a good read because it was statistically informative. I like how you talked a little bit about the benefits of joining the military, and how you explained everything in terms that readers could understand.

3. Quinn Kuslich on March 25th, 2017 12:26 pm

I had no idea how much the military was suffering this article was very informal. I was amazed that there was less than one half percent of people in the United States military.

• U.S. Military in need of more troops

Trump’s missile strike on Syria in retaliation

• U.S. Military in need of more troops

EIC Column

New conference system aids all students

• U.S. Military in need of more troops

Project-based learning benefits students academically

• U.S. Military in need of more troops

Array of disorders do not usually require conventional drugs

• U.S. Military in need of more troops

EIC column: Same-sex couples make good adoptive parental canidates

• U.S. Military in need of more troops

EIC Column

EIC column: political parties try taking down one another

• U.S. Military in need of more troops

EIC column: breastfeeding, natural part of infancy

• U.S. Military in need of more troops

Boycott Hollywood, not Academy Awards

• U.S. Military in need of more troops

Need for change in presidential candidates

• Editorial

EIC Column: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, no need for capital punishment

U.S. Military in need of more troops