results out of 300 students (Quinn Kuslich)
results out of 300 students

Quinn Kuslich

Foreign soil is not U.S. soil

October 14, 2016

results out of 300 students
Infographic by Quinn Kuslich

In 2011, the Arab Spring in Syria escalated into fully armed conflict. This happened because President Bashar Al-Assad violently silenced calls for his removal from office. Syria is now engulfed in the flame of a multi-faction civil war. ISIS is a leading faction rising to power through brutal war which has led to the involvement of Russia, which leaves an important choice for the U.S. leaders. The choice to send troop support to Syria, to bring order to a chaotic state. The use of ground troops will most likely result in the spilled blood of Americans on foreign soil. The United States should stay out of overseas conflict.

20,000 people including Americans have been killed by ISIS as of 2016. Some think that the United States needs to wipe out ISIS because they are a threat.

“We need to wipe out the problem from the source before they wipe us out,” junior Anthony Randazzo said.

Many people feel threatened by ISIS and the other factions involved in the Syrian civil war. They think that U.S. troops can bring order to the chaotic area.  52 percent of people feel that this conflict in Syria should be ignored.

“We should not send troops to Syria, because that would give ISIS the feeling that we think they’re legitimate. We don’t want to give them that power,” sophomore Hunter Kahn said.

ISIS is a terrorist organization, terrorists need fear to have power. Some people feel that sending troops will give ISIS the confirmation that they are a feared threat. The United States doesn’t want that because it would give them power. People feel getting involved in this war will do no good for the United States, based on past foreign conflicts that they were involved in.

“We are stupid, and make enemies we should stay out of all foreign conflicts unless we absolutely need to be involved for the safety of our country,” sophomore Madison Jacobs said.

In the past, the United States has made unwanted enemies by getting involved in foreign conflict. If they get involved in another it will have repercussions.

If we fight this war and destroy ISIS it won’t end terrorism there will always be radical groups that will fight and cause terror, the cycle will never end so why should the US get involved in such a pointless conflict.

— Madison Jacobs

After 4,486 soldiers died in Iraq, people feel that if the United States gets involved in this conflict, American lives should not be put at risk.

“Instead of wasting American lives on those useless people, if we are going to do anything about them we should rely on targeted missile strikes and drones,” Kahn said.

The United States can be involved in the war without putting boots on the ground. That is important to consider. There is also a thought that if the United States helps fight ISIS, just like they fought Al-Qaeda from 2003-2011, terrorism will not end. 

“If we fight this war and destroy ISIS it won’t end terrorism there will always be radical groups that will fight and cause terror, the cycle will never end so why should the US get involved in such a pointless conflict,” Jacobs said.

Terrorism is a cycle that will never end. Getting involved in another conflict against something that will never go away is pointless, the United States should stay out.

Although ISIS may be a threat to the United States, this nation’s army can easily defend against them. The citizens of the United States are strong patriots who will fight for what is right, and will not be swayed by the terror and threats of radical Islam. The conflict in Syria is not a problem for the United States. The use of troops in the civil war in Syria will result in the deaths of American soldiers and have repercussions later. The United States should stay out of foreign conflicts and focus on strengthening defense on the home front so terrorist attacks can not happen. Then ISIS will not be a threat.

View Comments (4)

• O

Olivia WeirtzNov 22, 2016 at 6:28 pm

This article shows a clear understanding of the concerns of more American soldiers fighting overseas. A suggestion would be to use quotes from reputable secondary sources and weave those in with your opinion paragraphs.

Reply
  • J

Jared DeanNov 22, 2016 at 9:43 am

Article was very well written and showed that you did a lot of research. Both the facts and quotes used in the article did a good job to help support your opinion. I also liked how you used opinions from both sides of the argument. My one critique would be to inform the readers a little more about the other side. More information rather than just “putting American boots on the ground”. Other than that I could tell you put time into insuring this article was well constructed and had valid points.

Reply
  • J

Jared TaylorNov 16, 2016 at 8:16 am

This article was okay. The facts used in this article showed that there was a lot of time put into researching facts for the story, and the quotes used really helped bring others opinions out. But one thing to improve on is adding a little more of your own opinion around the article, but over all nice article.

Reply
  • S

Shad KraftsonNov 11, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Syria is not a problem for the U.S.; it is a problem for the entire world. As the world’s leading power, it is not in our best interest to avoid and ignore the conflict in Syria and with ISIS. I see the last paragraph here as conflicting. It discusses fighting for what is right, but then goes on to say that the U.S. should not fight at all. Should we leave it to Putin? If Russian and Iraq are forced to defeat ISIS without our involvement it will be an embarrassment to us on the world stage. Foreign soil has been our soil for decades and must continue to be. If we do not “fight for what is right”, other countries will take notice.

Reply
4