Filed under Arts, TV & Film Reviews

Hanks portrays Sully, possibly one of his best performances

The new movie Sully starring the superstar Tom Hanks, tells the true story of the plane that made the emergency landing on the Hudson River in 2009. However, this movie may fall flat if they are not able to stretch this event out into a full length feature film.

Captain Chesley Sullenberg, pilot of flight 1549 made an emergency landing on the Hudson River after a bird strike took out both engines. Not believing that he could make it back to an airport in time he makes the decision that saved all 155 souls on board, the “Miracle on the Hudson”. Many worry that this film could be a complete failure if it fails to retell this event in an effective and meaningful manner.

I was stressed out for the entire movie but it felt like you were in the moment, I’m glad I saw it.”

— Eric Volkmeier

While not being surprised about how much the movie made opening weekend, many would agree that the $35 million it made very closely reflects how Sully was originally was received. Even though the film has received very good ratings from critics it does not always help in getting more people into the theaters. Despite Sully only making $35 million on opening weekend, it is still director Clint Eastwood’s largest movie opening of his career. For extremely popular blockbuster movies, this is nothing to get excited about. However, for a smaller and not as well known movie making this much it can be celebrated.

Senior Eric Volkmeier said,”I was stressed out for the entire movie but it felt like you were in the moment, I’m glad I saw it.”

The events of Sully may be more foreign to younger students than it might be for their partners. This could play a big role in how the movie is received by the younger generation of people. If they do not remember what happened back in 2009 they may be less interested in seeing the film. This movie is based on a true story and attempts to reenact the events through film. The movie does this by taking what is known about the real event and attempting to replicate it in such a way to make it an interesting and intuitive movie.

Senior Claire Harter said,”When I first heard about this movie I honestly was not very interested in seeing it because I just thought it was another boring story.” The worries of this movie can be seen through the thoughts and comments of the consumers.

Whenever the name Tom Hanks comes up everyone knows they are in for a treat. Hanks has the ability to make you feel like he is not just pretending to be someone he is not. He embodies the character he is playing and gets the viewer very involved. This can clearly be seen in his performance in Sully. Tom Hanks plays the role of the captain of flight 1549, Chesley Sullenberg.

Mike Reyes of CinemaBlend said,” While we’re used to Tom Hanks putting in the work and delivering consistently excellent material throughout his career, his performance as Captain Chesley ‘Sully’ Sullenberger is perhaps one of his most impressive.”

Many of the concerns with the film have been put to rest as more and more critics come out with their positive reviews. No one was expecting Tom Hanks to under perform in his role and he of course did not. Sully overall has been a hit as more people are going out to see the film.

Harter said,”If a movie interests you go and see it, don’t always listen to Rotten Tomatoes.” Sully could be just that movie to prove that opinions vary from person to person.