New online community forms on Instagram

Spam Instagram accounts have given students a new way of connecting with each other. Using a “spam” account gives people the freedom to post pictures whenever they want without the fear that their peers will judge them.

Spam Instagram accounts are Instagram accounts that allow students to post daily life updates, funny pictures or videos, and any story they feel their peers should read about. Instagram is a social media sight where people can follow others, as they can post pictures and attach a picture with an unlimited amount of words as the caption.

Spam accounts may seem odd at first but a couple hundred students have found that sharing personal stories and humorous activities on social media is actually quite fun. A spam account gives students the platform to be themselves and post things that on a regular social media account, would be judged. Students are always looking for new ways to express themselves. Considering how much time teens spend online, a social media account is a great way to do just that.

I think Instagram is a lot more friendly and accepting as opposed to twitter which is very public.

— Brian Jaap

Students have created their own branch of a social media site called spam accounts on Instagram. Stemming off of Instagram gave students the perfect platform to make connections with others over social media. Teens are able to have multiple Instagram accounts at once, therefore a student can log into their spam, post something, then go on their regular account and do the same. Spam accounts are easy, simple and very popular.

Senior Brian Jaap said,”I have so many pictures in my camera roll that I want people to see, it’s a bunch of different things that aren’t posted on regular social media accounts.”

Teens are more comfortable posting on their spam accounts rather than on a regular, normal Instagram account. Social media gives online bullies a perfect way to attack people. However by manually monitoring who is allowed to follow each person, Instagram is a safe way to post whatever and whenever a person wants to.

Junior Chloe Zurn said, “I know that posting on my spam is a lot more comfortable because I know I won’t be judged and the people on spam don’t care about likes, they just post anything they think is funny.”

Also,  students commented on the appeal of an Instagram spam site, rather than one on twitter, another social media interface. One great thing about Instagram is the ability to have a private account. This gives the account owner the ability to accept or deny any follow request they may get. This ensures a much safer way to post your photos.

Jaap said, “I think Instagram is a lot more friendly and accepting as opposed to twitter which is very public.”

The spam account community is bringing people closer together. Sharing laughs and daily experiences gets you knowing someone pretty quickly. Therefore, on a site where you are free to be yourself and post whatever you want, people get to see what you are all about. Connections form quickly and a simple comment on someone else’s picture can bring you together.

Zurn said, “I like my spam because anyone can interact with anyone, it doesn’t matter who you are.”

People are getting to know their peers on a deeper, friendlier level. The atmosphere on spam accounts is very positive and uplifting. Teens get excited to see what kinds of activities their peers do, which is very easy by viewing a spam account.

Sophomore Ali Kratzke said, “I’ve gotten to know more about people’s lives and it’s really fun for me to hear about all the funny things people do by following their spam.”

Senior Annie Seiler said, “I love my spam. I care about hearing about my friends lives and Instagram is a great place for that.”