Fashion glasses through a new lens

Dylan Foster, Field Reporter

Trendy styles are ever changing, but one of the most recent one is sort of a surprise. Glasses have become the new trend and are being used to pull together outfits and add a bit of pizazz to people’s lifestyle. The irony of the new trend is that glasses have always been seen as the typical nerd fashion.

I think it is more socially acceptable now, it goes with modern style. Especially because you can get super cute frames and there are tons of options.

— Abby Armstrong

Glasses have always sort of depicted what a typical “nerd” looks like. A study from the British Psychological Society has shown that people who wear glasses are seen as less attractive. Children seem to be the biggest haters on glasses with kids in the 5-9 year old range saying people who have glasses are less attractive.

The study even showed kids are less likely to befriend another child wearing glasses. The children were also asked to draw a picture of a ‘smart person’ and they put a pair of spectacles for a finishing touch. They also showed people with glasses as happy and confident.

The media has one of the biggest roles in the popularity of certain fashion and glasses have usually been seen as things worn by wimpy, unattractive and introverted people, but the tides may have changed as glasses are now becoming more widely displayed.

“I think it is more socially acceptable now, it goes with modern style. Especially because you can get super cute frames and there are tons of options,” sophomore Abby Armstrong said. “I think it goes hand in hand with the current fashion style.  The overall style today is much more laid-back, so because fashion is less maintenance themed, it allows people not to have to about all the upkeep of contacts when glasses are more put on and go.”

Glasses seem to be coincidentally mixed into certain cliques. Glasses are commonly seen mixed in with the group of people called the “hipsters”, as well as the “nerds” still. Hipsters seem to be the new era trend-setters and as junior Max Brown describes them as, “a whole subculture based on being uncool, but cool at the same time.”

The way that the stigma of glasses has changed is when glasses originally were seen as “nerdy”, they are now being worn by the “popular” and “cool” kids. It is also an idea that people are supposed to dress how their clique does.

“I would say unless you’re going out looking to impress the opposite gender (or the same in some cases), it is [style] to show off what clique you’re in,” Brown said. “Unless you are setting out to look appealing to other people,  you try to look like you fit in to your own social group.”

Along with glasses making a comeback, there are many different styles of glasses that are trending. Plastic, more wide-rimmed, circular, black and clear glasses are becoming a popular style. Wire glasses are becoming almost non-existent on today’s teens. Ray Bans and Calvin Klein’s are seemingly the most popular among most groups of teens.

“I have noticed a trend in clear/white rimmed glasses and that circle glasses are making a comeback,” junior Beth Wilcek said.  Glasses can also sort of display the clique one is in.

“Hipsters in 2010 were wearing the black, 3D type glasses but have now turned to more transparent lenses with a more circular shape.” She continued, “Stereo typically the ‘nerds’ have stuck with the wire glasses with small rectangular frames,” Wilcek added.

Of course, the type and shape of glasses should not define who a person is and altogether everyone should be accepting of each other no matter what they do or do not wear.