Captains lead their teams despite stress

The average student is generally compiled with heavy loads of stress, it’s inevitable. It is more common than not to see a high school student stressing over something like school, extracurricular activities, or something else happening at home. The stress can become overwhelming and even unhealthy. Some are better at keeping their stress from controlling their lives.

For many students, being a captain of a sports team can lead them to having trouble with managing all the activities they have going on. Captains are in charge of many important things when it comes to leading their team. They are in charge of organizing events, creating apparel and building a pleasurable environment for other teammates. Managing each responsibility while maintaining school and other activities, could feel like juggling too many objects at once. Balancing a leadership role, good grades, extracurricular activities and a social life would seem hard to achieve for most, but somehow, the captains make it look easy. High school is known for making memories and being yourself, but this can be a challenge when stress takes over a student’s daily life.

The best part about being a captain is the leadership role you play. You are in control as teammates turn to you for guidance and instruction.

— Colman Farrington

Having time for everything going on in their lives may seem like a challenge at times, but most captains will say that their experience is enjoyable and worth all of the hard work put in. Being a captain comes with a lot of responsibilities and adding extra stress can make simple tasks even harder. It is something that not all athletes get to execute, so students aim to make the best out of it, by leading their team to become better and more united.

Junior Colman Farrington said, “When times get stressful I think about the reasons why I am doing all of these activities and difficult classes- and that helps to motivate me to keep going.”

Based on a survey from USA Today, 27 percent of high school students experience extreme stress, versus  13 percent stress during the summer. The survey also stated that 59 percent said managing their time and balancing activities is a significant stressor. Stress can limit the bodies usual ease at completing tasks. Other effects of stress are, suffering from mental illness, high blood pressure and eating disorders.

Dusty Dennis special education teacher and coach said, “I think it is important to schedule some down time each day. Some time you put aside for yourself that does not involve responsibility for anyone else… maybe time to watch tv, go for a run, etc.”

Managing time is an important factor when it comes to balancing different activities. Procrastinating homework can often lead to a more stressful high school experience. Without keeping track of time, different activities could leave students sleeping small amounts of hours or missing school due to the fact that they couldn’t manage their time. When things get too stressful, they can turn out chaotic.

Senior Jane Delahunt said, “There are certain times when you’re more stressed because, you have more going on, but it’s all about managing your time, so you don’t really have time to procrastinate.”

For many captains, they say that being in their role, despite the stress it comes with, has great rewards. Whether it’s winning a big game or simply bonding over an inside joke with the team, the captains say their experience is worthwhile.

Farrington said, “The best part about being a captain is the leadership role you play. You are in control as teammates turn to you for guidance and instruction.”