‘You Can’t Take it With You’ kicks off the year

Kai Knudson

More stories from Kai Knudson

Andrew Weigel

Senior Grace Baldwin rehearses her lines for the show.

After years of kicking off the fall theater year with a Shakespeare play under former director Haeri Tollefson; the new director, Grif Sadow, has gone a more curt, comedic approach with George S. Kaufman’s and Moss Hart’s ‘You Can’t Take it With You.’

The theater department is performing this play from Oct. 23-25. The play won the 1937 Pulitzer prize for best drama, and was adapted for film by Frank Capra in 1938. Tickets can be paid for at the main office on school days or before the show at the box office. Tickets are priced at $6 for students and $9 for adults.

The 1930’s comedy was a phenomenal success upon release in Broadway, and since then has continued to see favorable amounts of performances in all sorts of different theaters of different styles, skill levels, and levels of professionalism.

“It’s been produced all over,” Sadow said. “It’s probably one of the most produced shows from the community, to high school, to professional theaters.”

It’s probably one of the most produced shows from the community, to high school, to professional theaters.

— Grif Sadow

The characters and plot line of the play portray many themes about human relationships, be it familial or romantic, and about expressing the true, quirky and eccentric sides of who we are as people.

“There’s some wonderful, sentimental messages about the importance of being true to who you are and following your passion; the importance of family,” Sadow said, before finishing with the final theme, “Love conquers all.”

The play is very comedic through the bizarre behavior of the Sycamore family and those who live in the Sycamore household.  Also through the interactions between the Sycamores and more proper families; such as the Kirby family, whose son, Tony, is in a relationship with the Sycamore daughter, Alice.

“[The Kirbys] are very privileged, well-to-do; They’re pretty tightly wound and proper,” Sadow said. “[Tony’s] parents get to see their family as they truly are, not what they’re pretending to be. It just kind of goes from there.” “It’s hilarious; full of funny, uncomfortable moments,” senior actor Sam Luloff said.

The play also derives its comedy from more human, realistic traits of the characters, such as alcoholism, sexuality, and similar lewd characteristics not often seen in shows at the high school level.

“It’s a bit more edgy,” Luloff said, “It’s more suited to the high school environment.”

Because of its less-censored style, the show remains hilarious and relatable even to this day, nearly 80 years later.

“It’s just as relatable today as it was in the 30’s when it was written,” Sadow said.

Sadow as the new lead director of the theater department and drama club is very experienced on the stage in both acting and directing.

“I was a theater arts consultant and educator. So, I basically directed, or taught, or worked behind the scenes with writing for high schools, arts organization, community and professional,” Sadow said.

He has also had experience directing other high school theater departments before coming to Stillwater.

“I was drama director for Park Center High School, and I’ve also worked at Forest Lake High School and Chisago Lakes, Champlin Park and Columbia Heights,” Sadow said, “So, all over the Twin Cities.”

Apart from teaching and directing in all levels of theater productions, Sadow also has experience as a stage actor in professional and community levels.

“I just finished ‘The Explorers Club‘, in Anoka, which was the regional premier. It’s kind of a play like ‘Monty Python’; a British comedy.”

‘You Can’t Take it With You’ will be a hilarious and fun way to kick off the new year in theater and also Sadow’s new position at SAHS. This early 20th century piece still holds itself to be humorous and relatable still.

“It’s really stood the test of time in it’s messages and it’s characters,” Sadow said.