Words from the wise: advice to underclassmen

Megan Friedrichs

Upperclassmen have life knowledge that can be deemed very useful for sophomores and juniors. Junior Ali Reardon said, “The best piece of advice I have learned was to remember to not only learn for school but for life.”

Allie Langness, Online Editor-In-Chief

In a short couple of months, the seniors will be leaving to go their separate ways, and they will be venturing off to begin the next adventures in their lives. Before they leave, they will make some of the best memories of their high school years. Upperclassmen have life knowledge that can be deemed very useful for sophomores and juniors. Some of the most important and common pieces of advice, stem from how to act and who to hang out with.

Senior David Guild said, “Popularity isn’t important. Stick to your close friends. Don’t suck up to anyone and be who you want to be, regardless of what other people think.”

The majority of high school is thinking about what to wear, what to do on your Friday and Saturday nights and deciding which crowd you will fit in with the best. But the majority is not always the most important.

Junior Ali Reardon said, “My favorite part about high school would definitely have to be the hockey games, football games and the other sporting events. Almost all of my favorite memories from the past two years at the high school have been at sporting events with my friends.”

High school might seem like a bunch of busy work that is never going to help get students jobs but you obtain valuable skills suitable for the future. When a  person steps inside the main entrance to Stillwater Area High School, there is a great message printed above in the rotunda. ‘We learn not for school but for life.’

“The best piece of advice I have learned was to remember to not only learn for school but for life. One of my teachers reminds us of this just about every day and I used to laugh every time he said it but now I am beginning to understand what he means. In high school, you can’t just think ahead to the next day, you have to think further out in advice in order to plan for success,” said Reardon.

Sometimes it might seem as if the homework and tests will never end, but teachers assure students it will. The work load is not always fun but it is important to success throughout high school and for many years beyond.

Reardon said, “My least favorite thing about the high school is the work load teachers tend to give. Sometimes I have no homework and then on other nights I have two essays and a presentation to prepare for the next day and 40 pages to read in a book that I don’t know anything about. Sometimes it is hard to see how this will help me in the future but I just step back and realize this is all for me. I am doing this because it is going to benefit me and my future.”