Students surprised by music mix up

Tessa Rosa, Online Editor-In-Chief

In each aspect of high school, there is one big event that groups prepare for. For sports it is state, academics it is finals, for music it is contest. Contests are very important to musicians because it is a chance for them to play music for three judges as well as an audience of other ensembles and get feedback as to how they perform. Then they receive a rating of superior, excellent, good or fair.

On the morning of April 1, band students were buzzing with excitement and nerves, contest was coming up. For weeks it had been written on the board in the band room that contest was scheduled for April 2.

However, after second hour, chaos consumed the band students. An announcement was made that all members of the Concert Wind Symphony were to report to the band room immediately after the period. When they got there they found out that contest was actually that day.

“It was extremely stressful,” said junior Mackenzie Moroney. “Everyone in the band was so nervous and freaking out because we were all caught off guard by the day mess up. A lot of kids thought it was an April Fool’s joke.”

Being April 1, or more commonly known as April Fool’s Day, no one believed band director Dennis Lindsay when he first broke the news. When it finally did set in that this was no joke stress took over because the bands had lost a whole day of preparation due to this mistake.

“Everyone in the band was so nervous and freaking out because we were all caught off guard by the day mess up. A lot of kids thought it was an April Fool’s joke.”

— Mackenzie Moroney

It was a rather big mistake and it took its toll on him and his perception of himself as a director, but the band through all the stress was understanding. Ensembles are a team, a family and supported Lindsay through it.

“It was an honest mistake,” said junior Bailey Taylor. “Everyone makes mistakes.”

Because contests are so important to band, Lindsay called the concert band down and asked them to quickly load the bus and travel to White Bear. They flung down their backpacks and quickly grabbed instruments and music.

“Contest is like if the football team had a streak of going to state every year,” said Moroney,  “Stillwater bands have a streak of getting superior rating each year at contest which is the highest rating you can get and to show up so unprepared was scary!”

Lindsay felt it was his duty as a Stillwater band director to keep this streak going, but there was not enough time to load up all three bands and equipment and so Concert Wind Symphony loaded and took off.

When the day was over, he knew he needed to make it up to the other bands because they had worked just as hard and Contest was just as important to them. He worked his magic and got another date set for Wind Ensemble and Varsity Band to perform on April 23.

“Then Dennis took over and of course worked his Randall-Magic,” said sophomore James Cardenas.

Lindsay admitted his mistake, he recognized it, and like any good director who cares about his students, he made it right. This event is just as important to him as it is to the students.

“I think more academic areas should put the final project up for show,” said Lindsay.

Although it was a bumpy path, the road to Contest was successfully traveled. Concert Wind Symphony continued their streak of superior ratings, Wind Ensemble also received a superior and Varsity Band got a solid excellent rating.

“None of us will forget this day, ever, we must go forward still playing our music with love and passion like always. We shall go on protecting our honor and the dynasty that is Stillwater Area High School,” said Cardenas.