Speech Showcase communicates to the community

Jordan Fulin, Team Lead

Senior Alex Eitzman practices for the showcase with sophomore Gabby Haggerty. "My friends were in speech and I wanted to join to be with them," said Eitzman.
Photo by Ana Reding
Students practice in English teacher Laura Hammond Laux’s room to prepare their pieces. Senior Alex Eitzman practices for the showcase with sophomore Gabby Haggerty. “My friends were in speech and I wanted to join to be with them,” said Eitzman.

Speech is the expression of or the ability to express thoughts and feelings by articulate sounds. The Stillwater Speech Team has 20 members that dedicate their Saturdays to compete with their piece or pieces. On March 11, 11 out of the 20 members performed in the first ever Speech Showcase at Stillwater Area High School. It exposed the school to what the speech team does during their season and shared several astounding performances.

There are 13 categories of Minnesota High School Speech. The 13 categories offered are Creative Expression, Discussion, Duo Interpretation, Extemporaneous Reading, Extemporaneous Speaking, Great Speeches, Humorous Interpretation, Informative Speaking, Original Oratory, Serious Interpretation of Drama, Serious Interpretation of Poetry, Serious Interpretation of Prose and Storytelling. Eight out of the 13 categories were featured in the Speech Showcase.

Categories that appeared in the showcase were Serious Interpretation of Prose, Informative Speaking, Creative Expression, Humorous Interpretation, Extemporaneous Reading Extemporaneous Speaking, Serious Interpretation of Poetry and Storytelling.

Senior Holly Fena said, “I joined the Speech team my sophomore year. I had actually done debate right before that and I knew of a couple people doing speech, so I decided to try it. I really like the dramatic interpretation categories and I’ve never been a part of the theatre program at this school, but I always liked acting which is why I wanted to be a part of the team.”

I really like the dramatic interpretation categories and I’ve never been a part of the theatre program at this school, but I always liked acting which is why I wanted to be a part of the team.

— Holly Fena

Fena is not only a member of the Speech team, but a captain as well. Along with senior Alaina Friedrich, senior Cora Sutherland and senior Alex Screaton.

Fena explained why she wanted to be captain, “I like to think that I have been an active member of the team so I decided to run for captain last year. I just really love Speech and wanted to help other people find Speech the way I did in that finding something as a creative outlet for themselves.”

The piece Fena presented at the showcase was ‘Weight’ by Margaret Atwood. It is featured in her book of short stories called ‘Wilderness Tips’. Atwood has always been one of Fena’s favorite authors. This story has done pretty well this season, winning Fena first place two times so far.

Fena explained, “Generally, when I’m finding a prose piece it is something that I like and want to do. With this piece I felt a personal connection, the writing struck me as everything that I desperately hope not to be and to be in one weird messed up way. My favorite thing about this prose piece is the aspect of pose and confidence that the character has and what she uses it for.”

Sophomore Gabby Haggerty performed ‘I’m a Man’ by Camila Oliveira Dias. This is a poetry piece that addresses the concerns on gender equality in our society. Here is a short excerpt from it, “I never had to cross a street, even though it was out of my way, to avoid a group of women in a bar, who will probably catcall me when I pass, embarrassing me.”

Haggerty said, “This piece is not something you hear everyday. It is very powerful which is why I wanted to share it in the Speech Showcase.”

English teacher Laura Hammond-Laux has been the head coach of the speech team for four years. When she first arrived she created the team due to that fact it had been dormant for several years.

Hammond- Laux said, “The Speech Showcase was meant for friends and family to see what the Speech team is capable of, although the tournaments are open to the public during the competition it is not the best environment for people to come and watch.”

The Speech Showcase was a great opportunity for people to see the speech team in action. It was the first time they opened up their performances to the community. All profits made went to their not so big budget for the speech team’s next season.

Hammond-Laux explained the success of the showcase, “The night was highly successful, so happy to see friends and family here supporting the team.”