Golf season underway

Dan Gorman, Distribution Reporter

Now that spring is just around the corner the Stillwater boys and girls golf season is about to start. The season starts March 23, the Monday after spring break. Because it is a new season there will be some players lost and some new players that are going to join the team.

Both the girls and boys golf team practice Monday through Friday and have one or two matches a week. A golf match usually includes multiple teams that will play together in threesomes or foursomes, and sometimes the players start when its their tee time and other times it is a shotgun start where everyone starts at the same time but on different holes.

A new season of golf means that there will be some new players and some old players lost.

Theits added, “I like golf because it’s a mental toughness game, and it is not easy like people think, it definitely is really challenging. It is also fun and I love being outside, especially when its beautiful weather, but mainly I like how competitive it is.

— Erin Theits

Junior Jane Delahunt, member of the girls golf team said, “I think we will be pretty good this year, we only lost a couple seniors last year so our team is pretty much the same and we have a lot of girls on the team, so it will be a good year.”

Junior Davis DeMeuse said, “I think the team is going to do great this year, our seniors are a great group of guys that have worked extremely over the summer, and I think they will lead and motivate us to perform at a very high level this year.”

Both the girls and boys golf teams have done pretty well in the previous years. Either the whole team or certain individuals have made it to state.

Senior Erin Theits, captain of the girls golf team said, “Me and the team have made it to state my eighth grade year, and my freshman and sophomore year, and last year as a junior I went individually.”

Both the girls and boys golf teams have either matches or practice Monday through Friday, and can have up to three or four matches a week.

“We practice at Loggers Trail, Stillwater Country club, Stillwater Oaks, and sometimes Oak Glen Golf Course. The matches are at each conference teams home course so it varies every time.” said Theits

All the players have a passion for playing golf and are very excited to start a new season with a fresh start and some new players.

Senior Sammy Sicard said, “Golf is relaxing, it kinda helps me get my mind off things, and working hard at something and seeing progress is very rewarding.”

Theits added, “I like golf because it’s a mental toughness game, and it is not easy like people think, it definitely is really challenging. It is also fun and I love being outside, especially when its beautiful weather, but mainly I like how competitive it is.”

The new season of golf for both the guys and the girls teams starts on March 23rd. The teams will start up their skills, and get to practicing golf. Stillwater also has one of the more talented in the conference and sections, so hopefully they do well this year.