‘Grease’ is the word

The curtain rises and Principal McGee’s words float across the stage. “Welcome back students. We are changing things up this year. Please report immediately to the gymnasium, for our school song and class picture. Please refrain from stopping at the lavatory to tease or grease your hair and change your clothes. Parents have been complaining that last year’s photo did not do justice to the clean, upstanding child they know went out the door this morning…” And so begins the classic of Grease, a well loved story of young romance between Sandra (Sandy)  Dumbrowski and Daniel (Danny) Zuko.

As the announcement comes to an end, the cast of Grease begins to sing and dance, starting the pattern of the musical so well known and loved by past generations. Now this musical visits the high school auditorium. The student body of Stillwater Area High School will transform into the students of Rydell Senior High with new hairdos and just a little makeup, bringing high school life of the ’50s, in all its differences, to the present.

“My favorite part about Grease is the differences between high school now and high school then,” said junior Simon Leppicello, who plays Teen Angel and a “T-Bird,” a member of Danny’s crew.

Instead of colorfully patterned pants and crop tops, the preppy girls wore poodle skirts and scarves, while greaser girls teased their hair up really big. And in place of the commonly found flannels today, greaser boys wore leather jackets and jeans.

The clothes and hair not the only staples of Grease, but the catchy, upbeat, feel good songs and dances are also an audience and cast favorite, despite the fact that they are difficult to perform.

“[The] hardest part has been learning the dances,” said Leppicello, “but my favorite part has been learning the dances.”

The dances show off a little bit of the cultural difference between then and now. Filled with flips, they are difficult to master, but fun and entertaining to watch as well as perform.

Junior Sara Swartz, playing Betty Rizzo agreed, “My favorite part has been the dances. They are incredible.” She added, “My favorite song is, ‘There are Worse Things I Could Do’ because it is so challenging for me.”

Senior Jayna Davis, who plays the lead role of Sandy Dumbrowski, backed Swartz, “[To me] the songs and dances are the best because they are so cute and cheesy. The hardest part would probably be mastering the dances. They can be pretty difficult, but our choreographer makes us look good.”

Through mastering the dances and songs, the cast has had a great experience working together. Not only working together, but creating and being able to share that with the audience excites and unnerves the cast.

“The experience of being in the Grease cast is so fun because there is a high energy and excitement to creating something to be proud of while also having a blast,” said Davis. “Everyone works together and is so supportive it is a really great environment to be in. I am most nervous about trying to pull off such a well-known, well-loved character.”

On the 26, 27 and 28 of February at 7 p.m. and the first of March at 2 p.m., the cast will get to share this fun production with the school and the community after weeks full of rehearsal. Grease is the word, see what it is all about.