Living the dream, College Signing day

Playing college sports is a rare thing. According to College Stats, 7.3 percent of boys and 7.6 percent of girls will make the commitment to go from a high school to a college sport. In fact, CBS News reports that only 2 percent of high school athletes will even get a college scholarship. On Feb. 4, the best high school senior athletes from across the nation decided what college they want to further their academic and athletic journey. This low percentage of athletes will take a leap of faith, and decide to play a college sport.

At Stillwater Area High School, several athletes will be attending college on athletic scholarships. Seniors Matt Anderson and Brooks Carroll in football, Liz Click in diving, Bailey Hesse-Withbroe in cross country, and Kyle McKinley in basketball. These select few will be attending colleges as close as the University of Minnesota or the Bemidji State University, to as far away as the University of Albany. These athletes will get a once in a lifetime opportunity to participate in a college sport.

This season the boys football team put on a show for the fans, making it to sections, and barely missing a chance to play for the state title. A big reason for this is due to Tight End Anderson and Wide Receiver Carroll. Both had outstanding seasons, and will be playing football for North Dakota State and Bemidji State University, two very good programs.

Anderson explained why he chose NDSU and what factors made him choose this University.

He said, “They have a history of a good football program, they have a good business program, and I also like their facilities and jerseys.”

Another reason why this is an exciting day for college athletes, is they get a clean slate on their reputation, and they start all over again.

Anderson talked about his thoughts on this. “It’s like starting high school sports all over again. You have to work for your spot, you have to start from the bottom and work your way up,” he said.

McKinley will be attending the University of Albany next year for basketball.

He said, “I chose Albany because I like the coaches and I have a great relationship with them. Albany has good academics, and the basketball program there has had success the last four years. I also like the location, and the environment it has.”

For many of the athletes that will be committing to college in sports, they are excited to just continue their careers in whatever sport they love to play.

McKinley said, “I wanted to continue basketball in college because I like playing the game, getting better, and I feel it helps with more than just basketball, as far as working together as a team.”

All of the athletes across the country had to make their final decisions on Feb. 4. All of the college visits, decision making, all came down to one day. For many athletes this is a stressful time.

Activities and Athletics Director Ricky Michel explained how he helps the athletes make their decisions leading up to the big signing day, “They [the athletes] come to us to let the coaches know, and what we at the activities office do, is we try to give advice from our vantage point. We try to figure out what they are interested in, and what college will work best for them.”

Feb. 4 is a day so many athletes will never forget. Getting to continue the sport they have worked so hard at, but at the same time, getting to start over. Going into a college sport, you have to put in even more work and strive to become better. At the end of the day though, the athletes can stop, think, and say, “Wow I’ve made it.” They are in that 7 percent of people playing a college sport, and in that select 2 percent of athletes receiving a scholarship and playing a college sport.