Mathnasium provides tutoring opportunities

The Mathnasium building, within walking distance of Stillwater Area High School, is where students can go for help on their schoolwork.

There’s a new place in Stillwater for struggling students to get help. Mathnasium, specializing in math tutoring, is Stillwater’s newest tutor. With scheduled appointments, students can get help in any math subject they may be struggling in.

Mathnasium offers help for students in kindergarten through 12th grade. They are located at 5871 Neal Ave N in Stillwater. They are a tutoring business, and their tutors want to help students succeed.

Sachin Gore is the Center Director of Stillwater’s Mathnasium. His job is to sell their services to parents before the student commits, and to watch over all operations.

“I make sure that when students come in here they’re getting the type of help they need,” said Gore.

Gore’s son struggled in math, and that is what motivated him to take the Center Director position. The big difference between Mathnasium and private tutors is that Mathnasium has their own curriculum.

“When a student first comes in we give them what we call an assessment, and we figure out what their strengths and weaknesses are from a math standpoint,” explained Gore.

Mathnasium is different from the traditional private tutoring by a teacher.

“When you think about your traditional private tutor, they help you with what you bring to them,” explained Gore.

Math teacher and private tutor Mike Parker said, “I can attack specifics easier than they can. They are more general. I teach math and may have more familiarity with the textbooks and content of local high schools.”

The two tutors have differing opinions in how their tutoring works and how they help students, but in the end both are helpful. It all depends upon which type of tutoring help students are looking for.

At Mathnasium, the tutors focus on taking the stigma out of math. Struggling math students typically do not enjoy math. Mathnasium likes to try to change that.

Gore said, “A lot of the students that come in here, math is not their favorite subject. Our goal is to teach math so students stop hating it, and can see how they can get it.”

The students that attend Mathnasium also say that Mathnasium is helpful to them. Gore said he has had many positive emails and phone calls from parents, and has been happy with the success rate.

“I think it’s a really cool place. I think that if this had existed before in Minnesota I would have started here,” Mahtomedi senior Zach Vietor said. “I used a private tutor for about two months but it didn’t really work out,” Vietor added.

New to Stillwater, Mathnasium is the place to go get help in math. Different from private tutoring, they can help students in a whole new way.