Junior high welcomes Belle and the Beast

A cast of Stillwater Junior High students performed Beauty and the Beast on May 1-3.

The traditional Disney story of the beautiful Belle and the arrogant Beast was portrayed exactly like the movie. The costumes were specially made by a seamstress to ensure that the young actors and actresses looked their part.

“I’ve been performing since sixth grade and I hope to perform for a long while after high school,” said freshman Mary Burchill.

Burchill was the lead in the play and had to work very hard with Collin Bracewell who was the Beast, to memorize lines, learn stage movements and keep in character the entire performance.

“I loved the part where I went to find my dad in a cell it’s an intimate scene and was very fun and kind of creepy even,” said Burchill.

The three performances were all very successful and director and teacher Drew Smith was very proud.

“I went to watch because my friends little sister was in it and I was amazed at how talented the kids were and how good of a play it was for it being a junior high performance,” said junior Carter Sanderson.

While performing a play the cast spends a lot of time rehearsing together and making mistakes and also fun memories.

“I remember the first read through took forever to get through because we were all laughing at each other and making jokes, it was great,” said Burchill.

The cast’s performances were successful, energetic and impressive overall. After all of their hard work the students had a party to celebrate the end of a successful production. This party was held in Smith’s classroom and featured pop, pizza and other treats.

For future performance information, go to the SJHS website