Tough spring calls for sturdy captain Hollerbach

Brinna Dochniak

Winter boots shifting to tennis shoes, snow melting due to the warm spring sun. Shoes scuffing the court, a yellow ball bounced back and fourth. What may be used leisurely to some is very competitive for students like Riley Hollerbach. Hollerbach is the 2013-2014 boys varsity tennis captain at SAHS. With great plans and aspirations to lead the team to victory.

Senior Riley Hollerbach said, “Tennis has always been something I’ve really enjoyed. Even as a young boy playing doubles tennis matches on Saturday afternoons with my mom, dad and brother. We’ve all shared a love for the game and I’m thankful to be able to share that love with my teammates here at SAHS.”

Hollerbach has been playing tennis for the high school since he was a freshman and has grown and matured into the leadership role he has had the opportunity to take on this season.

Junior Matthew Treacy said, “I’ve always looked up to Riley on and off the tennis courts. He is a great person and a great leader. He is nearly unstoppable in the game and I hope to be able to say that I once beat Riley Hollerbach in a tennis match. Sadly that day has not come yet.”

Hollerbach mostly plays singles tennis matches but when he does play doubles he plays with his partner and long time best friend Thomas.

Senior Thomas Anderson said, “Riley has been a great friend of mine since seventh grade. We’ve been on the swim and tennis teams together for many years and have been fortunate enough to be such close friends and teammates. He is a great person and player and I expect great things from him this season.”

Hollerbach is not quite sure about his plans for after high school but has decided to keep his options open.

“I’m not 100% positive if I will be swimming or playing tennis in college. Maybe neither, maybe both. I’m more focused on my education and if an opportunity arises with either sport I would be more than willing to consider but at the moment I’m not quite sure,” said Hollerbach.

Anxiously waiting for the snow to melt and this long Minnesota winter to come to an end. Hollerbach is more than eager to be out on the tennis courts to lead his team in his final season as a pony tennis player.