Stillwater tackles social justice issues

Graphic by Clara Ilkka

The concept of what social justice and equality for all really means has been constantly debated, and is forever changing along with society. Some believe it has everything to do with the redistribution of wealth, income and power. Others denounce this notion, and say it has more to do with the social compass free thinkers use to make decisions. Regardless of the standard it is all based off of the same basic principles: that everyone should have access to fair and equal treatment under the law, despite race, social class or gender. The group “Students for Social Justice” is a student run organization that explores the various social justice issues that impinge on our society today.

This club was established only a couple of weeks ago by seniors Conor Murphy and Sam Schirvar. They meet every Monday at 2:30 p.m. in English teacher Lori Stippel’s room. The first meeting was held on Feb. 24 and thus far the average attendance has ranged between 10 to 15 students. They also have a Facebook group which currently has 31 members.

“We wanted to stress the idea that this is a wholly student-created and student-led club, and ‘Social Justice’ is a broad enough label that allows us to focus on multiple different issues.

— Sam Schirvar

“The idea for the club came from an awareness of the injustice that exists, I felt that our school needed a group to highlight and combat these oppressive ideas and institutions that exist,” said Murphy.

The name, “Students for Social Justice”, accomplishes two main purposes. “We wanted to stress the idea that this is a wholly student-created and student-led club, and ‘Social Justice’ is a broad enough label that allows us to focus on multiple different issues,” said Schirvar.

The topics discussed are not only issues within SAHS, but areas across the globe.

“What we do at the meetings is responsive to what the group wants to do. The first meeting we had a discussion about privilege and at the second meeting we had a session on anti-oppression training. The group is designed to allow awareness of all social justice struggles, this includes sexism, racism, classism, heterosexism, ageism, ableism, colonialism and many others,” said Murphy.

The group will help students develop awareness, knowledge and skills on present issues of race, social class, gender, ability and sexual orientation, as well as take steps that will lead to action in the community.

“The club is a great way to gain information on social justice issues and start a core group of students in Stillwater that are ready to turn that information into activism,” said senior Sofia Logan.

Members are working to keep it a safe inclusive place where people are able to share their thoughts as well as hear the opinions of others. The goals of the group are decided upon collectively.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to bring what we learn to action within our school or otherwise. We’re excited that there is strong interest from sophomores and juniors because they will be the ones to carry on the club when we graduate,” said Schirvar.